• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Comics too expensive?

219 posts in this topic

You know, there's no right or wrong here.

You think a glossy-paged, foil-bound $4.99 "limited edition" format is a "comic book" and I do not.

The term means something far more to me, than simply combining words and pictures, and gets into the actual format, target market, distribution, business philosophy and overall physical design that had taken us from 1933 to the early 1990's.

It's like Kleenex or similar products, that started out as glass cleaners, or cold cream removers, and then when the companies started realizing people were blowing their noses with this stuff, the focus shifted. Then the facial tissue emerged, and the packaging, pricing, distribution, retail location, customer base and entire marketing and product design totally changed.

Sure, it was still physically tissues made from paper, but from that day forward, I see it as a new product, while some others may not.

Same with comics. You go to a comic store and see comic books, while I go and see some new high-priced, glossy, low-selling, niche market creature that only recently started walking the Earth.

It all depends on your viewpoint.

It seemed to be a short experiment by Marvel.

So, was it a bait and switch experiment?

We're raising prices but we are giving you glossy paper.

Whoops, we've got to go back to non-glossy, and we still need to raise prices. How will $2.25 sound? We certainly can't let them go back down to $1.50. Just hang with us sixty more issues and then we'll get you your glossy paper back. We just need to bankroll a little more money churning out the cheaper paper. tongue.giftongue.gif

You go to a comic store and see comic books, while I go and see some new high-priced, glossy, low-selling, niche market creature that only recently started walking the Earth.

Low-selling? Can books that "sell out" be low selling? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm not going to do much in terms of debate, but here's some info from nearly a decade ago (1996) on the cost of printing a comic (offered with the understanding that the cost of paper really IS a large part of the printing costs. I mean, we only had a guy whose JOB it is say as much:)

(this is an old bookmark, so if anyone wants to do research and find out what it costs NOW to get a full color book done feel free to google it up or, even bolder call up Quebecor World and ask for a price quote.)

"Most comics are 32 pages long with 4 covers. It isn’t economical to print anything below 10,000 units in colour. Last year, before the latest round of paper price hikes, printing a standard comic in full colour cost:

32 page + 4 covers

Full Colour

40 lb Mandoprime (interior)

60 lb Miraweb (exterior)

With final negative film provided.

10,000 $6,763 or .6764/unit and .3046/unit for extras

15,000 $7,205 or .4804/unit and .2648/unit for extras

50,000 $16,473 or .3294/unit and .2648/unit for extras

Since then the price of paper has nearly doubled so expect at least a 15-20% increase in these prices. Special effects like chromium ink will increase these prices."

Add to that the fact that Diamond only pays 40% (or thereabouts) of cover price, toss in the fact that most books sell well below 50,000 a month and then chew on the margins for a second.

Do with that what you will and don't forget to add in all the other factors...

Wow, let me thing about that. screwy.gif

I just made my own independant comic book, drew a SINGLE copy and then forced a co-worker to buy it for $1 - SELL OUT!!!

But it's still low-selling.

Wow, let me thing about that. screwy.gif

I just made my own independant comic book, drew a SINGLE copy and then forced a co-worker to buy it for $1 - SELL OUT!!!

But it's still low-selling.

You are such a flake.

http://www.answers.com/topic/american-comic-book?method=5&linktext=American%20comic%20book

Define: American comic book

American comic books are typically small magazines containing fictional stories in the artistic medium of comics.

Throughout their history, a huge number of comic books have been produced in the United States. It is difficult to say much in general about them, because of their huge range in quality, subject matter and audience through the past. However, a number of historical changes have influenced American comic books in general at different times.

Thanks for those numbers Rob, and now that someone has posted this, I'll offer mine up.

This looks pretty good to me, based on my mag data, but a bit off for large comic companies like Marvel and DC:

Now the total Setup costs are included in there, and they make up a nice portion. Taking those away leaves the "printing costs" which are much lower than the 32-cents a copy (which includes setup).

The 26-cents in the cost above that, but these look more like genral publishers for independants, and I know Marvel has to get a better rate than this. Rob, are these supposed to be actual Marvel/DC figures or just the price you or I would get? It can't be the former.

My estimate for just the "printing costs" (not including setup, etc.) of a single Marvel Comic of a 50K run would be around 12-15 cents, with the EXTRA COST IN GOING WITH GLOSSY PAPER being at or under a NICKEL. These may be off by a small percentage, but not much.

So basically, the comic companies are selling you a $2.99 comic and saying that the 3-5 cents per copy "glossy paper/covers" premium is the reason. screwy.gif

Thanks for those numbers Rob, and now that someone has posted this, I'll offer mine up.

This looks pretty good to me, based on my mag data, but a bit off for large comic companies like Marvel and DC:

Now the total Setup costs are included in there, and they make up a nice portion. Taking those away leaves the "printing costs" which are much lower than the 32-cents a copy (which includes setup).

The 26-cents in the cost above that, but these look more like genral publishers for independants, and I know Marvel has to get a better rate than this. Rob, are these supposed to be actual Marvel/DC figures or just the price you or I would get? It can't be the former.

My estimate for just the "printing costs" (not including setup, etc.) of a single Marvel Comic of a 50K run would be around 12-15 cents, with the EXTRA COST IN GOING WITH GLOSSY PAPER being at or under a NICKEL. These may be off by a small percentage, but not much.

So basically, the comic companies are selling you a $2.99 comic and saying that the 3-5 cents per copy "glossy paper/covers" premium is the reason. screwy.gif

I've never seen eyes as brown as yours, joe.

I've never seen eyes as brown as yours, joe.

If you have something constructive to add to the discussion, please do so. Otherwise, go in and clean yer room before momma comes home. thumbsup2.gif

Maybe I'll add to the discussion when you quit making things up. thumbsup2.gif

Maybe I'll add to the discussion when you quit making things up. thumbsup2.gif

What exactly am I making up?

Sure, the numbers may be off a bit. I estimate 15-cents per copy in total printing costs, and that might be 13-cents or 17 cents... but I don't believe this will be way off.

You just don't want to believe you've been fooled for this long into believing "paper costs" are the primary reason comics have risen from 1.00 in the 1990's to 2.99 and up today. Sorry buddy, but you're a sucker.

You go to a comic store and see comic books, while I go and see some new high-priced, glossy, low-selling, niche market creature that only recently started walking the Earth.

You're looking so stupid in this discussion it's not even funny. When you can say something so stupid that you get me to take JC's side in a discussion, you have got to be smoking some good stuff.

You're looking so stupid in this discussion it's not even funny. When you can say something so stupid that you get me to take JC's side in a discussion, you have got to be smoking some good stuff.

Or, it could prove that you love to troll me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifboo.gif You belong on JC's side of the room anyway. thumbsup2.gif

27_laughing.gif