• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Impact of minor animal/insect chew?

8 posts in this topic

I won a group of Fantastic Four books in an auction and just received them earlier today.  I didn't notice in the photos, but three of the books have minor notches out of the edge to varying degrees.  I've attached photos of one of the books (one was a little better than this, while the other was a little worse.  The impact here is relatively limited (about 1/16 of an inch), and the cover is only very, very slightly affected.

Any thoughts on impact on grade?  Otherwise, the book is very sharp, with the biggest issue being a modest 1/4" staple tear on the back cover on the lower edge of the top staple.  The book has high gloss and vibrant colors.  Really nice looking even with the chew.

Thoughts?

FF64-1.jpg

FF64-2.jpg

FF64-3.jpg

FF64-4.jpg

Back cover is shown in first two pictures.  Slightly larger impact on the edge of the cover than on the front, but still quite small.

Absent this flaw, it’s a solid very fine.  My gut is somewhere in the 5.0-6.0 range, but interested in others’ thoughts.

Having seen some books with much greater damage come in at a 4.0, I’d lean toward 5.5.

4 hours ago, Jim Baird said:

Back cover is shown in first two pictures.  Slightly larger impact on the edge of the cover than on the front, but still quite small.

Absent this flaw, it’s a solid very fine.  My gut is somewhere in the 5.0-6.0 range, but interested in others’ thoughts.

Having seen some books with much greater damage come in at a 4.0, I’d lean toward 5.5.

He's saying we need a full pic of the back cover to give you a grade

yeah a full pic of the back cover is helpful. but I am more leaning to a dull blade on the press as it looks like its only on all the interior pages and looks very even in the cut spot for the amount of pages missing from it.. 

dont think its a animal chew... 

Sorry....missed the point of the request for the back cover photo as I wasn't so much asking for an opinion on the overall book's grade as I was an opinion of the impact of that one specific issue.  Definitely appreciate the feedback on the overall grade of the book though.  The full back cover is below.

I agree that the "cut" appears awfully clean for a chew, but I don't think it was a printing issue and I also bought copies of 62 and 63 in the same lot, each of which also have similar issues in about the same spot.  It's most pronounced on the 62, while it's barely noticeable on the 63.  I've also attached photos of those for context.

FF 64 BC.jpg

FF62 1.jpg

FF 62 2.jpg

FF 63 1.jpg

FF 63 2.jpg

On 11/26/2019 at 11:39 PM, Jim Baird said:

Sorry....missed the point of the request for the back cover photo as I wasn't so much asking for an opinion on the overall book's grade as I was an opinion of the impact of that one specific issue.  Definitely appreciate the feedback on the overall grade of the book though.  The full back cover is below.

I agree that the "cut" appears awfully clean for a chew, but I don't think it was a printing issue and I also bought copies of 62 and 63 in the same lot, each of which also have similar issues in about the same spot.  It's most pronounced on the 62, while it's barely noticeable on the 63.  I've also attached photos of those for context.

FF 64 BC.jpg

FF62 1.jpg

FF 62 2.jpg

FF 63 1.jpg

FF 63 2.jpg

this one definitely shows more like a rodent chew and if they are all from the same collection in the same box then I believe it would be a chew and knock down the grade a bit specially for higher grade books.