• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 252 9.8 with ticks?
2 2

128 posts in this topic

In an extreme case, if I grade two comics at 9.8 and one is in ideal condition while the other is missing the cover, how could my grading be trusted? Can I just say my rules are secret and the grade is correct? Sure I could but why would anyone want me to grade their comics?

Edited by eastcoaster

Just now, eastcoaster said:

Again, everyone can have their own grading criteria but if you can't follow your own criteria what value can it have?

In an extreme case, if I grade two comics at 9.8 and one is in ideal condition while the other is missing the cover, how could my grading be trusted? Can I just say my rules are secret and the grade is correct? Sure I could but why would anyone want me to grade their comics?

We don't know what CGC's criteria is... How can we evaluate their ability to follow unknown standards...?

If CGC 'couldn't be trusted' then they wouldn't be in business.

Buy the book - not the label. It's that simple.

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

We don't know what CGC's criteria is... How can we evaluate their ability to follow unknown standards...?

If CGC 'couldn't be trusted' then they wouldn't be in business.

Buy the book - not the label. It's that simple.

Yeah I guess so but that doesn't put much value on the grade! :(

I get the 'unknowable, subjective' aspect but find it weird that a grade has no definable characteristics that the community agrees on, i.e., most 9.8s have one small spine tick but others have 10 huge ones. 

An observer would either conclude spine ticks do not matter for 9.8s or errors in grading occur.

Edited by eastcoaster

Sure but clearly the number determines market value. You will never get more for a nice 9.2 than a crappy 9.8.

No. Supply/demand determines market value.

Well-educated collectors won't pay more for a 9.2 than a 9.8 because most CGC 9.8s are generally most people's definitions of a 9.8 comic.

14 hours ago, eastcoaster said:

Thanks for your reply! The case posts look OK. From the pic, how does it look cracked open?

The new holders are much harder to crack open than the old ones---there should be fairly obvious evidence of damage to the holder if it's been tampered with. If not, it becomes a situation where the book may have been given the wrong label OR *shudder* the graders missed the spine stress. I'd contact the seller and see if they'd be willing to take the book back. If not, you may end up being the owner of one of the ugliest 9.8's in existence...

I hope this has been helpful. I wish you the best of luck...  (thumbsu

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

No. Supply/demand determines market value.

Well-educated collectors won't pay more for a 9.2 than a 9.8 because most CGC 9.8s are generally most people's definitions of a 9.8 comic.

Right so we circle back to the idea that the community knows what a 9.8 looks like but it's OK for the industry leading grader to have their graded results vary wildly and not be aligned with the community. I feel like you're really giving black box grading a pass.

4 minutes ago, Foley said:

These 2 images look off to me. Is the label outside of the plastic on the top edge?

No the label is in the case. Maybe there is some misalignment but I think that isn't unheard of.

I am not inclined to suspect fraud over a grading issue.

Edited by eastcoaster

Right so we circle back to the idea that the community knows what a 9.8 looks like but it's OK for the industry leading grader to have their graded results vary wildly and not be aligned with the community. I feel like you're really giving black box grading a pass.

Yes, it is okay for CGC to observe comic conditions subjectively. There are no concrete grades (outside of Gem Mint, of course).

I already said that I personally would not give this a 9.8 grade. I don't know where you're coming up with these wild accusations.

4 minutes ago, Foley said:

These 2 images look off to me. Is the label outside of the plastic on the top edge?

No the label is in the case. 

I am not inclined to suspect fraud over a grading issue.

Thanks, it just looked like it was outside. My first instinct wouldn't be to suspect fraud either, but it's definitely some form of an error. CGC wouldn't give that book a 9.8 in its current condition (without extreme oversight on the graders' part). Maybe they gave it a label that was meant for another book? I'd return it as not as described.

my best guess is this looks like a error potential on CGC's part.. as the case doesn't look tampered with and many agree with that much spine ticks many wouldn't consider it a 9.8 

14 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yes, it is okay for CGC to observe comic conditions subjectively. There are no concrete grades (outside of Gem Mint, of course).

I already said that I personally would not give this a 9.8 grade. I don't know where you're coming up with these wild accusations.

Not really arguing just saying it's bizarre that there is a clearly a general consensus on what a 9.8 looks like that CGC isn't expected to follow and also gets a pass for varying from their own observed grading standards.

14 minutes ago, Foley said:

Thanks, it just looked like it was outside. My first instinct wouldn't be to suspect fraud either, but it's definitely some form of an error. CGC wouldn't give that book a 9.8 in its current condition (without extreme oversight on the graders' part). Maybe they gave it a label that was meant for another book? I'd return it as not as described.

If the seller refuses to take it back can CGC remedy what looks like a serious grading error?

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

No there isn't.

I'm not saying everyone has the exact same ideas but seriously do you think one CGC collector on the planet would call my comic a 9.8? I'm inclined to think a grading or labeling error was made.

2 minutes ago, eastcoaster said:

I'm not saying everyone has the exact same ideas but seriously do you think one CGC collector on the planet would call my comic a 9.8? I'm inclined to think a grading or labeling error was made.

Mr. Magoo might.

I bet you can't tell the difference between another 9.8 and this comic book from 5 feet away. That's how silly buying the label is.