• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And another Chicago con report

13 posts in this topic

I had the most fun at this con! Great show, super dinner, couldn't ask for nicer people to hang out with.

Got into Chicago on Thursday and promptly headed south to visit our own Ze-man. I finally met the irresistable and oh so cute and cuddly Ellen. She is a little doll.

I bought along what I thought was a large bottle of Cosmopolitan mix and pink sugar for the rim of the glass. You just dip the rim of the glass in the sugar add vodka to the mix and voila! Instant sophisticated Cosmos in your very own kitchen.

All of a sudden Kenny waves this empty bottle of mix and a nearly empty bottle of Stoli around. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thursday night I stayed at Kenny and Greta's. Thanks so much for your hospitality and tell Greta another bottle of mix will be on the way.

Get to the con Friday early afternoon and just wander for a bit to get a feel for the layout. They do a pretty decent job numbering the aisles and booths here but it still helps to make a note on the map where you saw something. Leaving a trail of breadcrumbs won't cut it.

Found Moondog's (Gary) booth and introduced myself to him and Joe Sarno. What these gentlemen know about comics could fill volumes.

I should have kept track where I found what book but I'm pretty sure I found this B&B at Joe Sarno's booth. It has your name on it Kenny if you need it. Thanks again for keeping me off the road.

is.php?i=395470&img=Image006_(2).jpg" border="0

I got a cool Web of Horror from Gary. It has the double cover bonus. The front is reproduced on the back so it's suitible for framing. OK, let me get my razor and I'll get right on that. Though I wonder how many people did.

is.php?i=395474&img=Image010_(2).jpg" border="0

is.php?i=395475&img=Image011_(2).jpg" border="0

I also got a Mad Magazine special from 1971 and a Will Eisner Quarterly 1 with a 15 page interview with Neal Adams from Gary. Interesting reading and lots of pictures of Adams early work.

You all have heard about the great hot dogs at Gene & Judes on Saturday so nuf said there.

The rest of the bronze horror here just caught my eye for one reason or another. The first two HOMs are just great Wrightson covers.

is.php?i=395469&img=Image005_(2).jpg" border="0

is.php?i=395467&img=Image003_(2).jpg" border="0

The first HOS has a great gray scale skull and the dragonfly has a special significance to me.

is.php?i=395465&img=Image001_(2).jpg" border="0

The two other HOS have a certain incongruity I find amusing. Umm, hocky playing skeletons chasing a figure skater, anyone?

is.php?i=395466&img=Image002_(2).jpg" border="0

is.php?i=395468&img=Image004_(2).jpg" border="0

I had been thinking for a while about taking a sketchbook with me to the cons. I finally did this time but I wanted a theme. Lucky for me I came up with this idea before the Cosmo incident. My theme is alphabet soup. Whatever artist is doing a sketch for me can do whatever they want as long as it starts with whatever letter is next. I was lucky enough to start with Eric Powell and this is what he did for me.

is.php?i=395567&img=1408Image003_(2).jpg" border="0

Our very own Rob React did letter B. Thanks again Rob, I love it!

is.php?i=395566&img=8205Image002_(2).jpg" border="0

I spoke to Gene Colon about a sketch but I have to send my sketchbook to him. Perhaps I'll do that in January.

Also got to speak for a short time to Eric Powell and kind of got the feeling he didn't want to be there, that he was uncomfortable. Anyone else get that? Not that he wasn't nice, he was, just a little shy. Or it's entirely possible he just needed to make a bathroom run.

I love Dickens Christmas Carol and was lucky enough to get a page of OA from The Goon's version of that story. Oh, and Andy you are more than welcome. I'm sorry you kept missing Eric.

is.php?i=395414&img=IMG_0344.jpg" border="0

Saturdays dinner was a blast! Again, you've heard it all before. I'll just say I was so happy to be among such august company.

And last but NOT least I got these wonderful Goon books from klodz24-7 Thanks so much Brad, getting those just made my day. flowerred.gif

is.php?i=395472&img=Image008_(2).jpg" border="0

is.php?i=395471&img=Image007_(2).jpg" border="0

> r="0

Thank you all for stopping by and have a great day!

I owe you and Brad a beer. I stopped by my LCS today and, on a lark, flipped through their DHP back issue bin. Lo and behold, they had a 157 for cover price! grin.gif I would never had known about it if you guys hadn't shown me. This one isn't nearly as nice as yours, unfortunately (there is damage to the other side of the cover), but you can't beat the price.

dhp.jpg

Nice goin Andy 893applaud-thumb.gif. Looks like I hadn't cleaned everyone out as I thought! Glad to see it went to a good home thumbsup2.gif.

K

27_laughing.gif That was the exact thought running through my head as I pulled it out of the bin...."Klozd must have missed this one!"

Anne, it was very nice meeting you. It was also interesting to hear about what comics you like and why. Surprisingly close to my same interests, especially with the BA DC horror and "twisted death" covers. I wish there were more women like you that enjoyed this hobby as much as you!

For the past few days I've been thinking about which "twisted death" cover to PM you. I chose this one and I might as well show it here. I don't know if you've seen this book before, but it is one of my Bronze Age DC favorites, by Neal Adams. Talk about twisted death, I just love the way the puppet is crying for it's creator. The cover is actually quite touching and sad. I get the feeling that the old guy is dead and not just sleeping, or at least that's what the crying puppet implies. Cute dog too, just checking things out while the kids in the background just notice something going on.----Sid

897666-Sad.jpg

897666-Sad.jpg.fcfea4e132dc0ee7090c44eede1580ab.jpg

Flink & Bass: do you guys prefer Adams' horror work to Wrightsons? Although Adams is my favorite artist, I always preferred Bernie's horror stuff. While Adams' rendering and composition are always great, his stuff just never struck me as creepy at all. In fact, I think his scariest cover is Detective 410 (which is creepy in a seemingly unintentional way). I will never enjoy something like that HOS 86 as much as I will Wrightson's HOM 236 or HOS 96. confused-smiley-013.gif

Here is one of my favorite death covers...

weirdwar24.jpg

Flink & Bass: do you guys prefer Adams' horror work to Wrightsons? Although Adams is my favorite artist, I always preferred Bernie's horror stuff. While Adams' rendering and composition are always great, his stuff just never struck me as creepy at all. In fact, I think his scariest cover is Detective 410 (which is creepy in a seemingly unintentional way). I will never enjoy something like that HOS 86 as much as I will Wrightson's HOM 236 or HOS 96. confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually it was the Wrightson covers that first hooked me into this whole genre in the first place, starting with HoM #213. At that time, maybe 18 months ago I never even gave the majority of Adams covers a second thought, or at least I hadn't seen most of them yet. Now, after owning many books with covers by both artists, I will tip the scale slightly in Adams' favor. I like the detail and horror of the Wrightson covers, but Adams covers have a more natural and "human" feel to them with both people and animals showing deep expression and emotion. I think it is that human touch that has currently made Adams my favorite cover artist. Plus, he has more covers to choose from than Wrightson, makes it easy to have more favorite covers.

I guess this thread got buried before I saw it,only found it this morning. foreheadslap.gif

First off.. Thnx to Anne for driving 3 1/2 hours after her flight into Chicago. It was great to see you again, I always welcome guests who bring toys AND booze.

Thnx for bringing the Chicago Con to my door.

We crammed about as much food, booze , and conversation into 7 hours as is humanly possible.( and for the record.. the Stoli bottle was dry my dear)

I saw you landed a few of the BA books you wrote down. And I cannot believe in your report you did not mention you actually held my PLOD Hammer/Keys special, or the infamous SCS TTA slab!

Guess my collection made a big impression on ya!

27_laughing.gif

I do have a nice picture of Anne holding Ellen in her lap reading a book.... but Anne wont let me show it, she said there is one too many buttons open on her blouse, or something silly like that( screwy.gif)

Ze-