• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Astro City and a weird coincidence.....

4 posts in this topic

A few days ago I decided to swing by my LCS and pick up a few new trades as I was jonesing for a good read (that was more than a single issue). I browsed around for a bit and finally decided to pick up Kurt Busiek's Astro City.

I have heard nothing but praise for this book and as I enjoyed Marvels and JLA/Avengers both, I figured I couldn't go wrong. I also picked up Volume 1 of The Authority. I didn't get around to reading either that day (it was Sunday), but yesterday I had some free time (those precious few hours when I'm the only one at home cloud9.gif) and decided I'd start with Astro City.

Anyway, the first chapter of Astro City follows a "day in the life of" one of Astro City's greatest heroes, The Samaritan (he's the Astro City version of Superman/Cap. Marvel, more or less). The chapter starts with him waking up and ends with him falling asleep (after a busy day of super-hero activity). At one point during the day, he stops by the Astro City Fire Department to accept an award for all his exploits.

It's a trophy/plaque type award with his name and thanks from the community. The award also notes the date the award was presented. It was August 8, 1995 . 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Exactly 10 years to the day that I read the book.

I thought it was kinda cool. Anybody else ever have something like that happen when they were reading a book? confused-smiley-013.gif

No coincidence for me/

Astro City is one of the best reads out there. Pick up more..

Oh, I will be. I made it thru the first two chapters last night and started the third. I'll finish tonight and get the rest of the trades.