• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHOCKING CGC 9.8

19 posts in this topic

OK, not to slam cgc becos they do a great job most of the time (considering the number of books they grade) but check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dII?ViewItem&item=2167463580&category=32726

upper left corner crease, upper right corner crease and 2 big color breaking stress lines, ive seen cgc 9.0's far nicer

avengers 126 cgc 9.8

That is disturbing...I've bought a couple of recently-graded books which also suffer from uncharacteristically loose grading. I hope this is not a trend that is developing.

Gene

Would say current batch of bronze Marvels generously graded by Cgc compared to 6 months ago when they seemed to grade too tight. Bronze Marvels I thought would be 9.2, came back 9.0 6 months ago. Now bronze I graded 8.0, come back 9.0. crazy.gif

I would have picked this up if it were properly graded. I love bronze Avengers. Too bad. frown.gif

Too bad.

So...what do you think happened to this book? Although I have gotten gift grades by CGC, my previous 9.8s had nothing as obvious as those 2 spine breaks and the corner creases! Uggh! frown.gif

I dunno dude.......but if this is what currently passes for 9.8, I've got a truck load of books to send in!

Well, I'm getting back 6 of them back from CGC and there are no obvious structural problems like the Avengers. We could argue about the centering on mine but the structure is solid! smile.gif

Yep, that one looks great. I have a very sharp Tower of Shadows 1 coming back as a 9.8 so I'll post it when I pick it up next week! smile.gif

But...dammit...where's my Vault books? A collector in town got his a couple of days ago! frown.gif

Holy [!@#%^&^], you still haven't recieved your vault books? I would say that maybe it's a West Coast thing, but if someone in your area recieved then that's a little screwed up. Have you tried contacting this "bloke"?

BTW, the packing was pretty flimsy on mine, but luckily there was no damage.

I'm sure he sent it but customs like to look at my books a lot! frown.gif Sometimes they hold it for way too long! I pick up lots of books from the Post Office so I will drop by and have them do a search for me. I'm not worried because I've received books from California over a month after it was sent. My friend in town said that his books were sent on the 23rd. Yep, I'm patient! wink.gif

-- Here's what a 9.8 black cover should look like. Even though the scan is smaller, it looks as if there isn't one flaw in the black areas --

I'd have to disagree there also, CGC is being to nice again....seems they lower there standards the older a book is...not sure why that is, ya really can't call them "standards"...but anywho.....that Iron Man #150, I count 3 spine cracks and that's just glancing at it on the Ebay page....plus I thought I saw a small scuff mark by the spine (close to Iron Man waist)....even if these are the only flaws, I really don't see how this would grade a 9.8?...anyone else see this?