• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replaced staples?

13 posts in this topic

not sure if its the light but the inside looks like a vintage staple but the outside is shiny so I am thinking or leaning to a cleaned staple in my opinion. Either way doesn't look good 

3 hours ago, comics4all said:

A little too shiny methinks! 

Not too shiny when considering the storage area for the comic over the decades. The paper quality appears to be pristine, that is, I detect no trace of rust or even mild oxidation on or under the staples, nor do I see any trace of it on the paper surrounding the staples, inside or out. I see no edge tone whatsoever. This tells me that the book was stored in an environment conductive to those staples remaining as shiny as when printed. Also, though rolled, the holes that the staples pass through do not look fiddled with.

This is a book that wasn't stored in a hot attic or damp basement, and those are the original, period staples.

5 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Not too shiny when considering the storage area for the comic over the decades. The paper quality appears to be pristine, that is, I detect no trace of rust or even mild oxidation on or under the staples, nor do I see any trace of it on the paper surrounding the staples, inside or out. I see no edge tone whatsoever. This tells me that the book was stored in an environment conductive to those staples remaining as shiny as when printed. Also, though rolled, the holes that the staples pass through do not look fiddled with.

This is a book that wasn't stored in a hot attic or damp basement, and those are the original, period staples.

I believe the original staples were replaced with these new ones, is that correct @Wolverinex?

16 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

do you think someone just cleaned the staples even though they were very pristine to begin with just to get a shiny staple maybe a wipe with a dryer sheet or q tip as there seems to be a break in the dirt line on the spine which suspect to me that someone rubbed it down it might not be the purple label the CGC would say cleaned staple though.. but that's what I see. Just chatting about what might have or might not have been done to the comic. I know comic collectors do all kinds of crazy things that don't make sense lol just wondering your thoughts on if you think this is a situation like that. 

image.png.3cacd7f9bf42769ce13685ab3e54eef6.png

5 hours ago, Krismusic said:

do you think someone just cleaned the staples even though they were very pristine to begin with just to get a shiny staple maybe a wipe with a dryer sheet or q tip as there seems to be a break in the dirt line on the spine which suspect to me that someone rubbed it down it might not be the purple label the CGC would say cleaned staple though.. but that's what I see. Just chatting about what might have or might not have been done to the comic. I know comic collectors do all kinds of crazy things that don't make sense lol just wondering your thoughts on if you think this is a situation like that. 

image.png.3cacd7f9bf42769ce13685ab3e54eef6.png

They'd have to have cleaned under them as well, somehow, without removing or loosening them. The paper around the staple's original entry points looks exactly like what should be expected given the wear, the longitudinal, long creases just to the right of the black line. The wear is consistent with the light roll the book incurred. The same goes for the centerfold. The paper around the staple entry points shows no sign that the staples were ever opened to be partially or fully withdrawn for cleaning. Also, no sign of even mild oxidation on the paper surrounding the general area of the staples. Also, look at the cover inks surrounding the staples. Not a trace of abrasion that would result from anything more than a light dusting to the staples. I'm confident they're original and original to this book.

3 hours ago, B2D327 said:

That may be the understatement of the year

Look at the pristine quality of the paper, the snow-white color without any trace of tone/age. Same with the staples. Every once in a great while, you see a collection that was stored in a perfect environment. Not much in the way of temperature or humidity swings, and no exposure to contaminants. If this book was very high grade and was one of many from the same period stored with it, and in high grade, this book would be indicative of a high grade Pedigree find, like the Pacific Coast, or some such similar Pedigree find that likewise featured pristine quality books stored optimally to slow aging.

Edited by James J Johnson