• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Street and Smith (Shadow Comics, Super-Magician Comics, Doc Savage Comics, etc.)
1 1

160 posts in this topic

I noticed one of the books in the previous pages had a reference to Horatio Alger. I was curious about the connection to Street and Smith and a little internet research indicated they were his original publisher. I had no idea that Street and Smith had such a long publishing history going back to 1855 with many of the cheap publications that preceded the comic book. It all makes sense but there is always something new to learn.

5 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I noticed one of the books in the previous pages had a reference to Horatio Alger. I was curious about the connection to Street and Smith and a little internet research indicated they were his original publisher. I had no idea that Street and Smith had such a long publishing history going back to 1855 with many of the cheap publications that preceded the comic book. It all makes sense but there is always something new to learn.

Yeah, they go way back. They were probably the earliest founded publisher that later published comics, which is more apprehend when considering that publishers like Fawcett were founded in 1919.

lzW5GGB.jpg

Oc9BsHS.jpg

4YJfU3R.jpg

Tj7QwFK.jpg

IvLySmC.jpg

pefbh5T.jpg

ZQ4VoSG.jpg

sWOM5aG.jpg

aEVws28.jpg

szKmrOf.jpg

Source: https://www.pulpartists.com/StreetSmith.html

Edited by Electricmastro

16 hours ago, Electricmastro said:

Yeah, they go way back. They were probably the earliest founded publisher that later published comics, which is more apprehend when considering that publishers like Fawcett were founded in 1919.

Tj7QwFK.jpg

aEVws28.jpg

szKmrOf.jpg

Source: https://www.pulpartists.com/StreetSmith.html

Cool articles and ads. Their Seventh Avenue headquarters still shows up on Google!

image.thumb.png.f4ae2b6f178b5a9694f17c54d778ec00.png