• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help me grade Master Comics 76
1 1

9 posts in this topic

On 1/2/2020 at 8:39 PM, William-James88 said:

I have a tough time with this one. There is what I am pretty sure is a bindery defect around Bulletman's face. It's an obvious series of creases, as you can see below, but it really seems to be woven into the comic and not an actual fold. Anyways, you'll let me know.

master comics 76 01.jpg

That looks like a printing pleat, not a crease, which is why it didn't fracture the inks. It's a tight fold that the paper itself experienced during the manufacturing process. I don't thin there's a way to press out a paper production pleat as the ink layered over it with separate, thus fracture, if that tight fold was somehow unfolded and then pressed flat.Also, unfolding a pleat like that would un-gather the paper and produce a size increase translating out somewhere else on the cover, probably creating an equal amount of "bunching". Think of a 1/16th inch fold in a 3 inch, perfectly square piece of material. If you undo the fold and smooth it out, the dimension would increase to 3 and an extra 1/16th of an inch shared across one or two planes! 

And 7.5 to 8.0, with a lean towards the 8.0, sounds about right as the median result, the paper production pleat having no bearing on the grade in this grade range, as is. If a cleaning is as successful as I think it would be, 8.5 may be a stretch, but within reach. IMO, I think the book is more lightly soiled than sun/heat - dust-striped. To me, it looks like most of those dark areas will dry-clean beautifully.  Nice book!

Edited by James J Johnson

5 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

That looks like a printing pleat, not a crease, which is why it didn't fracture the inks. It's a tight fold that the paper itself experienced during the manufacturing process. I don't thin there's a way to press out a paper production pleat as the ink layered over it with separate, thus fracture, if that tight fold was somehow unfolded and then pressed flat.Also, unfolding a pleat like that would un-gather the paper and produce a size increase translating out somewhere else on the cover, probably creating an equal amount of "bunching". Think of a 1/16th inch fold in a 3 inch, perfectly square piece of material. If you undo the fold and smooth it out, the dimension would increase to 3 and an extra 1/16th of an inch shared across one or two planes! 

And 7.5 to 8.0, with a lean towards the 8.0, sounds about right as the median result, the paper production pleat having no bearing on the grade in this grade range. 

Thanks JJJ. @joeypost just tagging you here since this is one of the comics I sent and I wanted to share what was written, just in case.

Cheers all!