• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a good investment for some bronze age horror?

19 posts in this topic

I don't collect Marvel horror, only DC, so I can't tell you about that. I will say that you probably shouldn't post auctions you are thinking of bidding on. You never know who might see the link and decide to bid themselves. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't collect Marvel horror, only DC, so I can't tell you about that. I will say that you probably shouldn't post auctions you are thinking of bidding on. You never know who might see the link and decide to bid themselves. confused-smiley-013.gif

Can, I ask you why Dc horror over marvel is it prefrence or just value?

Neal Adams and Bernie Wrightson are my two favorite artists, and they did almost all of their good stuff for DC. House of Mystery and House of Secrets had a ton of amazing covers. If you haven't already, I would read some of this thread. If you enjoy horror, I am sure you will end up buying DCs as well.

As far as Marvel horror, I always thought that the art and stories took a distant second to DC. With the exception of Ploog's Frankenstein & Werewolf stuff, and the early Tomb of Dracula, I haven't found a whole like I like. Most people who post here agree with me, as probably 95% of the scans posted on this thread are DCs. If you have other questions, feel free to ask, as there are a lot of people on here who know A LOT about BA horror.

Oh, and WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! thumbsup2.gif

Well as far as this auction goes, I personally hate when a seller mentions "investment". Also Avg. grade VG/VF/NM ???confused-smiley-013.gif What percentage is VG? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's been said before but here it is again: Collect what you like, not for investment.

BTW: Welcome to the Boards!

I carefully read this auction and have no idea what I would be bidding on exactly. Certainly I'd stay away from this one. Also, from what I can see.....they are all pretty much "nothing" books. I mean sure, people collect these....but not a lot of demand for books like this. And....you could also get stuck with a "boatload" of VG's.

Not to mention that there isn't a book there that is worth over a dollar sumo.gif And hey, how about some sob story to go along with it . . . like, "these are from my brother's collection and he's like getting an operation for a brain tumor and really needs the money . . ." 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

sheesh - at least give us a snow job - none of this investment crapola Christo_pull_hair.gif

even if you get the books pictured after you pay, i wouldn't call this an "investment" lot. some of this stuff can be re-sold, but it's a lot of work for not a lot of money. in addition, i'd be hesitant to wind up with 4-6 copies of some of these books as pictured. aside from the fact that the $5-$6 some of them are in mid-grade in OPG is a fiction, a market may dry up after you've sold 1 or 2. I have a decent # of BA books where I have 4-10 copies and I do have some concerns that it might take me 3-5 years to sell all of them individually unless I run them out as 99 cent auctions or store items.

as for marvel horror, a lot of those are reprint books. most of the DCs are not and feature great art by some terrific artists, which is why they're deemed more collectible at this point. i think neal adams and some other good artists may have worked on one of the Chamber (of Darkness?) titles (not in this auction), so those tend to sell at a premium. The Marvels usually feature a few relatively short comic stories in each issue that are reprints from the 50's.

anyway, my guess it that the lot goes for a $1.25 - $1.50 a book, which is what I've gotten for lots of this genre. There are some pictured #1s and a few others that many offset the general shadiness of the auction (which is from a 450+ seller, so I'm hesitant to assume "scam" right away). whether it's to a real bidder, i don't know. all the zeros bidding on it were a concern to me.

When I joined this CGC Forum I was a Marvel Horror Zombie. But that was ONLY because I had not yet been very exposed to the Bronze Age DCs. Once that I spent enough time on these boards, I finally WAS exposed to these DCs and then they way overshadowed my interest in the Marvels. I still like the key Marvel Monster books, mainly WBN, TOD, Morbius and Man-Wolf, but I could care less about any Marvel anthologies or monster reprint books. A few cool covers, but they just don't interest me.

Once you go to BA DC Horror, you don't go back. Just take the plunge, you won't be sorry. And pass on this auction. Look for a good DC lot to buy instead.

Well Darth seems to think they are worth a bid! So it must be a good buy, hehe.

I quite like the marvels horrors, some great covers, but most of them (not all) are reprints from the 50's. The Supernatural thrillers are new stories, the rest that I can see are reprint issues, but as I said, great covers. DC has more original horror stuff in the 70's with great stories and artists which are all original, not reprints. Marvel does have the Dracula's, Werewolf by night, Frankenstein, Mummy which is part of the Supernatural thrillers series, but they are more like the superhero books and do tie into the same universe as Spider-man etc. Where as the DC horrors were not really conected into Superman, Batman, although in recent issues Villains united, one of the teams base is in the House of secrets, which I thought was cool.

If you count the comics in the scans, or ask him how many there are in the deal, I would be happy to go $2 each if I were you! Good luck and happy bidding.

he takes pictures of the same books a few times, but from different angles, which makes it seem like there are more than there are

also, a few sets of 5 copies of the same book or whatever elongates the time you need to spend to recoupe the investment.

Welcome to the boards thumbsup2.gif

While I personally never considered Comics as an investment, just a good fun hobby. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sure you could make money in this hobby, just like any other hobby, and loose money also tongue.gif