• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Stories of comic book collection finds!

53 posts in this topic

I can hear the sound of the whip cracking from here Christo_pull_hair.gifgrin.gif

Seriously, you should have brought your dealer friend home for drinks and had him tell your wife about all the money he made off the books she wouldn't let you buy.

Oh she knows how much money he made. Now, years later she realizes how stupid she was. All because I took $40 out of savings without asking her first. makepoint.gif BTW I did manager to get a few books out of the collection. I have an FF 14 and 26 in 9.2 - 9.4. I also got the Hulk 102, 103, 104 & 105 from the collection. These too are in the 9.2 - 9.4 range. Oh and I had to pay my dealer friend for these. At the time I think I paid him $300 for all of them. Oh and I did get a Superman 50, I forget what I paid for that.

2 years ago I purchased a collection of 300 GA books primarily consisting of Pre Code Horror, Superhero, War and Esoteric books, including a Marvel Mystery Annual for the princely sum of $6000.00 CDN

The amazing part of the tale is the the seller happened upon the books at a lawn sale in a rural property in Owen Sound, Ontario, about 150 miles north of Buffalo NY in Canada near where I reside in Toronto.

The seller told me he only paid $500.00 CDN 893whatthe.gif for the whole lot. I eventually sold the GA books to finance the MM Annual, including the Resto I had done to it.

See attached pic!!

The best part is that I ended up getting my Marvel Mystery Annual for FREE smile.gif, as I made exactly $5700 PROFIT from the sale of the GA books, which invariably financed the MM ANNUAL, including the Restoration, and I will never part with it, as I recently acquired the Captain America Annual.

901680-MMAfter.jpg.e4a8260d723c258dde40d7e83b99f0d0.jpg

Tracy Heft of Eclipse Paper did the work:

See link to his site and Click on Collectable Items button on the top and than scroll down and you will see the MM annual Restoration Details & Report:

http://www.eclipsepaper.com/

Tracy is currently working on my Captain America Annual and expects the same results

I have several such stories but let me offer the "archetypal" retiring old couple story.....

Last year, I put an add in the local paper about buying old comics. Most of the calls I received were for 'ancient' 80's books but one caller mentioned that they had a small stash of books with 10 cent covers (good start). When I got there, I met a couple in their late 60's. The wife told me that her husband was diagnosed with Alzheimers in the past year and that they had enough of the New York winters and they were moving to Florida. As a result, they were in a hurry to sell everything which included many old car parts, several classic cars, heaps of magazines, and a small box of comics. I started digging through the box and found mostly late 40's westerns and the occassional humor or crime book. As I was doing this, the wife was telling me that someone stopped earlier and offered her 25 cents per book and she told him to get lost. She said that she wouldn't take a penny less than $1 per book or $100 for the entire box (there were 108 books in the box). Sold! I stopped digging and told her she had a deal.

When I got home, I sorted through the box and found near complete runs of the first 20 or so issues of several 40's/50's Dell westerns including Gene Audrey, Monty Hall, Hopalong Cassidy, and Roy Rogers, all mid-grade. This included a decent copy of Roy Rogers #1! I'm not a western fan so I bought the box for the other books which included a dozen or so early 50's crime books, Crime Does Not Pay, True Crime, etc. When I got to the bottom, I found a copy of Weird Fantasy #13 (#1)!. I sent it to CGC and it came back as a 3.5. Not earth shattering but that one book alone paid for the entire box a few times over. I figure that for $100 for 108 books, I paid 94 cents for the Weird Fantasy.

WeirdFantasy.JPG

Black Hawk,

For you to put up with your wife she must be a yay.gifheadbang.gifacclaim.gif

that's one stubborn gal!!!!

after you made $1000 on a $40 investment, one would have thought that she'd have thrown the checkbook open for you!!!!!!! frown.gif

This one started out in April and hopefully isn't done yet. :wishluck:

Back in late March of this year, my wife's sister mentioned to her that she knew a guy in Chicago who wanted to sell a bunch of comics. So I obtained a phone number and made arrangements to go see the guy. Being the nice guy that I am ( :whistle:) I took my buddy flatrock02 along for the "find".

Once we walked into the "store" this guy used to have we were like kids in a candy store. One long wall (about 20 to 25 feet long) was full of short boxes of comics from one end to the other and from floor to ceiling. There was also a center island area that had comic boxes on it and underneath it. There was a closet full of short boxes of comics as well.

Mike and I started looking through all of the boxes. Mike's a big DC guy and I'm a big Marvel guy so we kind of split 'em up that way. Together we spent about $2,300 and got some great buys. I walked out with a short box full of Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars comics which contained about 45 copies of #8 (black Spidey costume) and a crapload of short boxes containing a bunch of bronze/copper Amazing Spider-Man, Captain America, Daredevil, Hulk, Marvel Super-Heroes, Marvel Team-Up and Marvel Two-In-One all in high grade (among others not mentioned). I also bought a Brave and Bold #28 (1st Justice League) and a bunch of other high grade bronze/copper Brave and Bolds. Mike would have to chime in on this thread as I don't remember exactly what he left with that day.

Anyway, we made plans to go back in early May. My outlook wasn't very positive as I thought we had pulled out the cream of the crop back in April. I even mentioned this to Mike on the way over. But boy was I ever wrong! As we were perusing through the comics again I looked underneath this "island" and saw a bunch of boxes underneath that we hadn't noticed before. To make a long story short, we ended up pulling out 5 or 6 short boxes full of old 1940's/1950's mostly crime and western related comics. Mike and I have both listed some of these here on the boards.

I also came away with a bunch of high grade bronze/copper X-Men issues. I just sent in 18 copies of these to CGC and all came back 9.4's to 9.8's with only 3 being 9.4's. Other finds that day were an Iron Man #1, Conan #1, Hulk #180 in high grade, FF #48 thru 50 and the Venom: Lethal Protector #1 Black Cover Printing Error Variant that just got a CGC 9.6 grade. :banana:

All together we've spent about $5K but got a crapload of comics in return. There are still more comics left and we're trying to work out one final trip into Chicago to clean 'em out.

Shark

This one started out in April and hopefully isn't done yet. :wishluck:

Back in late March of this year, my wife's sister mentioned to her that she knew a guy in Chicago who wanted to sell a bunch of comics. So I obtained a phone number and made arrangements to go see the guy. Being the nice guy that I am ( :whistle:) I took my buddy flatrock02 along for the "find".

Once we walked into the "store" this guy used to have we were like kids in a candy store. One long wall (about 20 to 25 feet long) was full of short boxes of comics from one end to the other and from floor to ceiling. There was also a center island area that had comic boxes on it and underneath it. There was a closet full of short boxes of comics as well.

Mike and I started looking through all of the boxes. Mike's a big DC guy and I'm a big Marvel guy so we kind of split 'em up that way. Together we spent about $2,300 and got some great buys. I walked out with a short box full of Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars comics which contained about 45 copies of #8 (black Spidey costume) and a crapload of short boxes containing a bunch of bronze/copper Amazing Spider-Man, Captain America, Daredevil, Hulk, Marvel Super-Heroes, Marvel Team-Up and Marvel Two-In-One all in high grade (among others not mentioned). I also bought a Brave and Bold #28 (1st Justice League) and a bunch of other high grade bronze/copper Brave and Bolds. Mike would have to chime in on this thread as I don't remember exactly what he left with that day.

Anyway, we made plans to go back in early May. My outlook wasn't very positive as I thought we had pulled out the cream of the crop back in April. I even mentioned this to Mike on the way over. But boy was I ever wrong! As we were perusing through the comics again I looked underneath this "island" and saw a bunch of boxes underneath that we hadn't noticed before. To make a long story short, we ended up pulling out 5 or 6 short boxes full of old 1940's/1950's mostly crime and western related comics. Mike and I have both listed some of these here on the boards.

I also came away with a bunch of high grade bronze/copper X-Men issues. I just sent in 18 copies of these to CGC and all came back 9.4's to 9.8's with only 3 being 9.4's. Other finds that day were an Iron Man #1, Conan #1, Hulk #180 in high grade, FF #48 thru 50 and the Venom: Lethal Protector #1 Black Cover Printing Error Variant that just got a CGC 9.6 grade. :banana:

All together we've spent about $5K but got a crapload of comics in return. There are still more comics left and we're trying to work out one final trip into Chicago to clean 'em out.

Shark

Awesome find.

Are you going to sell any of those 9.8 X-Men or keep them? :baiting:

Same question for the ungraded Marvel Team-Ups.