• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

World's Finest - the final original issues

6 posts in this topic

I recently picked up a bunch of Bronze/Copper books at a flea market and had pulled a stack of nice-looking World's Finest comics toward the end of the original run, so like in the 298-323 range.  After totaling up the other books I decided to put the WF stack back because even at less than a $1 apiece in higher grade, I wasn't sure there was much of interest there from a reading standpoint (I buy most of my stuff to read rather than slab).  The dealer asked if I wasn't planning on taking them and I confirmed as much, to which he said he'd just throw them in for free.

So here's my minor quandary: is there anything redeemable in the final 2-3 years of that series that would merit me seeking out and filling the run (I'm missing maybe five of the final 30 issues)?  From what I could tell from the stories and covers, things get pretty bananas with out-there intergalactic plots, and the artwork is hit-or-miss but in some cases oddly psychedelic in a way that intrigues me.  I mean seriously, what the heck is this?

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.1a23e62ead079035ad82d24e7126df6f.jpg

Has anyone read these and if so, any thoughts on this end run?

On 1/27/2020 at 5:29 PM, smithdatura said:

I recently picked up a bunch of Bronze/Copper books at a flea market and had pulled a stack of nice-looking World's Finest comics toward the end of the original run, so like in the 298-323 range.  After totaling up the other books I decided to put the WF stack back because even at less than a $1 apiece in higher grade, I wasn't sure there was much of interest there from a reading standpoint (I buy most of my stuff to read rather than slab).  The dealer asked if I wasn't planning on taking them and I confirmed as much, to which he said he'd just throw them in for free.

So here's my minor quandary: is there anything redeemable in the final 2-3 years of that series that would merit me seeking out and filling the run (I'm missing maybe five of the final 30 issues)?  From what I could tell from the stories and covers, things get pretty bananas with out-there intergalactic plots, and the artwork is hit-or-miss but in some cases oddly psychedelic in a way that intrigues me.  I mean seriously, what the heck is this?

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.1a23e62ead079035ad82d24e7126df6f.jpg

Has anyone read these and if so, any thoughts on this end run?

Now I'm wondering what a comic illustrated by Escher would look like