• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help me grade Holiday Comics 1 from Fawcett
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I am going to assume the back cover is in about the same shape as the front cover.  You have an inch-long color-breaking crease at the bottom near the spine.  The bottom spine is torn up.  Tears on the bottom front cover.  Corner creasing on the upper and lower right cover.  Creasing and some blunting damage at the upper spine.  Writing on cover.  The yellow in the splash box seems blotchy or faded, but that could be original.  Cover has noticeable dirt along right edge.  4.5 to 5.0, I think.  

43 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

probably looking at a 5.0/5.5

1 hour ago, OuterboroGuy said:

I am going to assume the back cover is in about the same shape as the front cover.  You have an inch-long color-breaking crease at the bottom near the spine.  The bottom spine is torn up.  Tears on the bottom front cover.  Corner creasing on the upper and lower right cover.  Creasing and some blunting damage at the upper spine.  Writing on cover.  The yellow in the splash box seems blotchy or faded, but that could be original.  Cover has noticeable dirt along right edge.  4.5 to 5.0, I think.  

Thank you both for your assessment (I didn't catch the dirt). I too gathered around 5.0-5.5 (assuming the back isn't worse) but wasn't sure since the seller is claiming this to be a 7.5. https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/holiday-comics-1-fawcett-publications-1942-condition-vf-/p/122006-78001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515
If it was a random person on e-bay I wouldn't have doubted myself. But this turns out to be Heritage which claims to be experts (125+ World-Class Experts in 40 Categories) and who apparently has an ex CGC employee grading the comics. So i'm finding this hard to believe. 

Won't be getting this then.