• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent Variant List-Help wanted

904 posts in this topic

I dunno, Rob. Maybe they are coming out of their shell confused-smiley-013.gif They had at least 25+ books on display, and they had prices and grades on them.

They definitely have been. They listed some on ebay a month or two ago. BUT, they still wouldn't say yes or no in reference to my question. 893frustrated.gif

The rumor (and I have to stress, that it is ONLY A RUMOR, but from people who sort of would know), is that 30 and 35 cent price variants are going to explode in value in the OS in a month. I'll believe it when I see it. Might be time to sell.

The rumor (and I have to stress, that it is ONLY A RUMOR, but from people who sort of would know), is that 30 and 35 cent price variants are going to explode in value in the OS in a month. I'll believe it when I see it. Might be time to sell.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Explode? Thats a pretty strong word when talking about Overstreet. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe, but I do think this is one area that OS should address, as the price increases and demand have nothing to do with CGC, and the vast majority of auction results are being realized on raw copies.

Explode? Thats a pretty strong word when talking about Overstreet. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe, but I do think this is one area that OS should address, as the price increases and demand have nothing to do with CGC, and the vast majority of auction results are being realized on raw copies.

Another phenomenon that puzzles is that raw low-midgrade variants (often enough to notice) outperform their slabbed counterparts in the same grade confused-smiley-013.gif

Another phenomenon that puzzles is that raw low-midgrade variants (often enough to notice) outperform their slabbed counterparts in the same grade confused-smiley-013.gif

I've thought about this, and I really feel that unless you have an 8.0 or higher and can cater to the specs, most collectors prefer to have a raw book.

In some ways, 30 and 35 cent variants are the last bastion of the true collector, where people are concerned with completing the set, not something stupid like speculation or investment.

I've thought about this, and I really feel that unless you have an 8.0 or higher and can cater to the specs, most collectors prefer to have a raw book.

In some ways, 30 and 35 cent variants are the last bastion of the true collector, where people are concerned with completing the set, not something stupid like speculation or investment.

Beautifully put. The sad thing is, the 30 and 35¢ variants are just the tip of the iceberg for the obsessive collector... There's the Canadian variants, the British variants, and all the other foreign editions to consider as well. 893frustrated.gif

Beautifully put. The sad thing is, the 30 and 35¢ variants are just the tip of the iceberg for the obsessive collector... There's the Canadian variants, the British variants, and all the other foreign editions to consider as well. 893frustrated.gif

I have also delved into these other arenas, dabbled more than delved really: Canadian variants - I have a whole run of Simonson thors that fall into this, and some Web of Spideys and GI Joes as well...

British Pence variants - I can't sell these for much but I have a few older X-men and Spidey readers with these. then there are some Marvel issues from 1976 that looked like possible 30 cent variants from the poor scan and I bit hard on the BINS...when I got them, turns out they are 9 or 10 p variants foreheadslap.gif

Foreign editions: Tons of French, spanish, German, Mexican Ultimate Marvel line and Top cow and Danger Girl books reprinted thru Panini - I still have foreign contacts who have overstock of these, last I checked, unless they liquidated it all. Board member awe4one Jim just hooked me up with 3 beautiful copies of a Dell'Otto cover work on a German Incredible Hulk. I actually try to read these - it's fun trying to decode and I can actually understand the French and Spanish..

Other "variants" I pick up now and then: multiple covers, Whitman logo DCs, manufacturing error variants, Mark Jeweler Inserts from the 70's...

Variety is the spice of life...and all that... thumbsup2.gif

Great point. But how much data reference would Overstreet need to really spike prices on these books? After all, the collecting pool for these books, although enthusiastic, does seem pretty small.

Does a select few dedicated collectors regularly bidding books up on eBay really justify a big guide price rise? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I got a message from Cosmic-spider-man and wanted to share...

"Hi; Carl

I just made a very interesting purchase I got a second copy of Captain America 212 35 cent variant and the Marvel Comics Group logo from the top yellow strip is missing have you ever seen this before and if you have time could you post this on the message board for me I would like to find out if any one has ever seen one like this before."

variant.jpg