• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Giving Grade on Ebay or Not? Pov Needs Advice

34 posts in this topic

Since checks are basically clearing overnight these days, is it really necessary to say people paying by check must wait ten days?

What does everyone think? I still like a few days for safety but if I was going to put it in the auction I think I might say something like 3-5 days, max.

Marc

Since checks are basically clearing overnight these days, is it really necessary to say people paying by check must wait ten days?

What does everyone think? I still like a few days for safety but if I was going to put it in the auction I think I might say something like 3-5 days, max.

Marc

I would advise a seller to state 10 days as an official policy, to give himself maximum protection and flexibility. If the seller wants to ship a book faster than that because he's satisfied the check has cleared, then he's always free to do so.

Pov,

regardless of disclosing a grade or not, one thing I think you definitely need to state is that the book is unrestored. Otherwise you'll get asked that question all day long, especially when selling GA. I would come up with a standard disclaimer to the tune of "the book is unrestored, has no writing, date stamp, coupons cut, missing pages, etc" and adjust as necessary for each individual book.

I always look for a big scan and a grade. There's lots of stuff on Ebay, and I haven't the time or inclination to read through wordy descriptions for everything I peruse. I want the seller to get to the point. I want to see the book and I want to see what the seller thinks the grade is. This allows me to make a judgement call whether or not to even bother.

As of late I have not been giving grades for lower grade GA and SA stuff, fair to VG, which is what I've mainly been putting up lately, just describing and giving a good scan. This is after someone left a feedback (albeit positive) saying the book was a G-, not a G+. All the defects were clear in the scan, but he quibled over the grade anyway. I'd rather not deal with that sort of annoyance when selling a reader copy.

Next batch will tend to be newer books, so I'm compelled to at least give ranges.

On your books I think you need to give a range because they seem to be mid-grade expensive copies. If you have some slabs, you can use those. CGC is so wishy washy with grading golden age books anyway, I think the main concern is restoration.

CGC is so wishy washy with grading golden age books anyway, I think the main concern is restoration.

On this point I'm in total agreement. I'd put the word "unrestored" in my subject heading for any raw GA that I was selling on ebay.

Provided, of course, that it was actually unrestored. 27_laughing.gif

Pov, I think it looks great, but I would definitely assign a grade. You can even say "the book is about a Fine(6.0)", or whatever, but definitely put some kind of grade on it, because you're going to get a bunch of emails asking for a grade if you don't assign one anyway.

I would deal with you in a minute.

Like yourself, I am not a professional dealer and I do not put a grade on books because I feel that the grades are open to interpretation and squabling.

I do provide a good scan, access to better scans and a complete description of everything that stops the comic from being graded pristine mint.

I am with Flying Donut on this one. ALWAYS give a grade. I always do.

Sure, you are going to get some pinhead that is going to give you a hard time about whatever, but they are in the minority.

Most of the knowledgeable comic book collectors can figure out a close-knit grader and bid accordingly.

I have auctions going up later this week and I am not promoting them here, just take a look at the comic ones. They always have a grade. Also check my feedback from Buyers - they have the generic comments but some of the comments are more specific. My feedback left for others indicates what I either bought or sold - most of the time I have a grade there too.

CAL hi.gif

Thanks everyone - Looks like I shall include a grade. I alos envision a mUCH less wordy auction. See how this flies.

Black Terror #20 - Schomburg GGA - Nedor - App. VG - NM

Verbal description would be: See title

waddyathink? crazy.gif

Thanks everyone - Looks like I shall include a grade. I alos envision a mUCH less wordy auction. See how this flies.

waddyathink? crazy.gif

As long as you mix caps and lower case letters for that individual look, I'd say perfect. thumbsup2.gif

waddyathink? crazy.gif

As long as you mix caps and lower case letters for that individual look, I'd say perfect. thumbsup2.gif

i thINk yOU arE oNtO SOMethiNG!

See there you go Michael - thought you were going to be selling some actual books - but alas just the GA tripe. sleeping.gif

Assign a grade, take the plunge, I'm pretty sure you can grade better than 99% of the raw sellers on EBAY - though that isn't saying much and Donut's right they will probably bombard you with Emails and it might actually hurt your auctions to not list a grade.

Just undergrade that would be refreshing.