• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All collectibles show Melbourne Fl, or the sorry state of affairs in S. Florida

4 posts in this topic

We don't get any shows here in S. Florida. The closest are the big ones in Orlando, and the occasional one in Tampa. There was one this past weekend in Melbourne, which is 115 miles from my house. I was a little apprehensive driving all that distance for a show billed as "all collectibles", since it included sports stuff, beanies, toys, NASCAR, etc, as well as comics, but I figured I could go to the Melbourne flea market beforehand, and the Vero Beach outlet mall afterwards if I felt up to it.

There were three guys selling comics, the common theme was they all had ones for $1.

One guy has a store up near Orlando right by Dixie Crossroads restaurant that has those amazing rock shrimp. He had about 100 books in his case, all half off. Wide variety of stuff with several Avengers under 100, some early Marvel Tales, and Gold Keys. Was debating buying some, but just wasn't feeling it. He complained that it was tough to buy since sellers wanted such high amounts. Seemed like a good guy though. Maybe next time.

Second guy had two tables, I'm surprised since he only had books for $1 and looked like he hadn't and wouldn't sell anything. I almost bought some Anne Rice books and some of the Marvels books with the acetate covers, but no complete sets and didn't feel like the hassle.

Third guy had a nice selection of stuff all for $1. He said that a buddy used to have a store and that it had closed in late 90's. All the stock was boxed up and sat until now. Was able to get 25 ASM's from 225 to 288 (no keys), Cap Annual 8 with Wolverine, some early 200's FF, PPTSSM 5, 10, 16, 22, and some other random books. He also had lots of graphic novels for half off the cover price. I got the Complete Frank Miller Batman (leather cover), Batman son of the Demon (big soft cover), and Spider-Man Spirits of the Earth (hardcover).

No where near as cool as Chicago, or any of the other places for that matter. I guess I'm going to have to trek up to Orlando or Tampa for a real show.

Tampa is not great, especially if you are looking for something specific (or anything really) in a higher grade. I get to hit Big Apple shows every now and then due to work and they're worlds apart obviously. I also got to go to a DC show this year - more GA stuff than I am used to seeing, but not any stuff I was looking for (high grade bronze war and horror). Tampa doesn't sound as bad as the stuff you are describing down south though.

Generally, the room is full and the toy/video contingent isn't overwhelming or anything. If someone is selling their collection you may get a deal on some cool stuff. I lucked into that kind of situation a couple of years ago. Ethan Van Sciver (sp) has been there just about every time I have been. And they usually have a few other guests.

I usually go if I am in town and it is not football season. I am in and out in under two hours usually. I'd like to try and get to a Mega-Con at some point.

Thank god for the Internet. 893applaud-thumb.gif

It's Amazing that South Florida can't have even one good show. Since I buy almost exclusively CGC books, even Mega-Con doesn't do it for me simply because I don't get any better deals (usualy worse) at cons. But I enjoy chatting with the dealers and the forum dinner.

Well, I'm glad I didn't bother going to the Melbourne show then. I was actually thinking about it. I live in Orlando, and I gotta say FL is pretty overlooked. We have Megacon and that's it. No Wizard World shows in the area. I'm actually going to the show in Tampa which is the 29th I believe. Maybe I'll see some of you guys there.