• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Mateo Area

33 posts in this topic

Cant remember if its Saturday or Sunday, but I know Monday I"m taking my little guy to catch an A's game. I will find out tonight.

Comicdey, I'd would love to do some fishing out there, but unfortunalety my time is limited this time around. Hopefully one day real soon.

If I were you I might even consider forgoing the comics (gasp!) for fishing. The tuna have shown up in Monterey/Santa Cruz and there have been some great scores lately. Most albacore running 25-40 lbs right now. Salmon are still hot and rockfishing is always great. The fishing is really, really good up there right now!

Here's one that wasnt suggested:

Amazing Adventures

corner of 45th and Noreiga

San Francisco

415-661-1344

If you dont mind a little drive (about 40 mins each way) you'll find the best stock of Golden Age in any shop in the Bay Area. The prices are on the hi side of fair, but they're fair!

Plus they are moving to a bigger location in a few weeks so they might have some sales!

Just my 2 cents makepoint.gif

Plus they are moving to a bigger location in a few weeks so they might have some sales!

Say, Jim. Any idea to where they are moving? I haven;t been there in a long while. Wonder if any more stock will make an appearance in a larger place?

Cant beat the price, $36 for 4 bleacher seats 893whatthe.gif,

$36 would probably get you 1 seat, if you could find one in Fenway.

Bleacher seats were even better when I first moved here, which was pre-"Raiders" renovations at the Coliseum. So home runs would actually make it to the bleachers, you could chat with Rickey Henderson, etc. Not the same anymore.

Marc

Lee's comics is well known for blow out prices on VF and below books.

They don't have the greatest HG stock on hand, but they're fun none the less.

Don't you mean Comic Collector Shop for blow out prices? They sell most non key VF and below for 50% off guide. Lee's rarely discounts books, not even low grade.

I agree that you should definitely make the trip to Comic Collector Shop. It's not that big, but t's the bst shop in the area.

Comic Collector Shop

167 El Camino East

Mountina View, CA 94040

I totally agree with this. Phil (the owner) is a really great guy and is a SOLID grader. One of the few guys whose grading I would trust enough to buy a book from him over the telephone and not have to worry about getting an overgraded POS. His prices range from straight guide to slightly above guide for hot raw books. He is CGC savvy and tends to auction most of his CGC graded books on ebay.

All in all, he is a total pleasure to do business with and has a lot of silver and bronze age stuff right in your strike zone, Nikos. If I were visiting the bay area and only had one brick and mortar store to go to, I'd go here.

Another place that is definitely worth checking out is Marc Newman at houseofcomics.com (a fellow board member of ours). He also has a lot of good stuff (esp. bronze age, but also a fairly wide selection of silver and gold, though not so much of the uber-high-grade-uber-high-priced stuff like you'd get from Doug Schmell or Harley Yee) and his pricing is very fair. Marc doesn't have a brick and mortar store, but if you make an appointment ahead of time, you can go to his house and he'll pull stuff for you to look at. For anyone who hasn't dealt with Marc before, I can vouch for the fact that he is a super nice guy, a solid grader, and is very reasonable when it comes to making deals on multiple-book purchases. He's in Berkeley, so you might want to coordinate an appointment with him before you go to the A's game (the A's Oakland Coliseum is just down the 880 Freeway from Berkeley).

You can always come over and look through my stuff... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif My weekend plans are up in the air, but maybe we can get some people together for a drink? Which day is your comic day?

Liz and I would be up for this if you guys want to get together on Friday or Saturday night. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Say, Jim. Any idea to where they are moving? I haven;t been there in a long while. Wonder if any more stock will make an appearance in a larger place?

Sal has had stuff in storage that he didnt have space for. So yes after the move they will have more stuff out, he told me that.

Sal is pricey, but he is a very strict grader! He pays well for stuff so I can see why he prices the way he does. It shows with the stock of raw golden age!

Amazing Adventures is moving within San Francisco. Hopefully they will keep the number they have had since 1979!

hi.gif

You can always come over and look through my stuff... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif My weekend plans are up in the air, but maybe we can get some people together for a drink? Which day is your comic day?

Liz and I would be up for this if you guys want to get together on Friday or Saturday night. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I can do Friday night, but not Saturday night . . . frown.gif

Thanks to all for the info supplied, looks like I will have most of Saturday afternoon to myself and I will check out the store.

I wish I had more free time as I would have liked to met up with forum members for drinks.

Definately San Diego next year.

Cant beat the price, $36 for 4 bleacher seats 893whatthe.gif,

$36 would probably get you 1 seat, if you could find one in Fenway.

Ya but the RED SOX are a real baseball team - devil.gif

We'll see when they play the Angels later this week! acclaim.gif

Comic Collector Shop

167 El Camino East

Mountina View, CA 94040

Definately a good stop, thanks for the advice. I spent about an hour there on Saturday picked up a bunch of nice books, Jeremy was a pretty cool and helpful guy.

Foster City is just beautiful, heading to San Fran on Monday and then back home.