• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM FF #5

7 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, David1985 said:

Thinking about having ccs clean and press. Anyone think its possible to come back with a higher grade? Not sure how they grade spine burn but this was graded in 2008 and has a lot of creases that could use a press.

20200228_204054.jpg

20200228_204115.jpg

20200228_204125.jpg

20200228_204030.jpg

Screenshot_20200228-204654.png

You're not getting a lot of input because it's very difficult to see the fine details while slabbed and from a photo whose clarity isn't that good (on my monitor anyway). But here's the bottom line. With 14 listed defects, most of which may or may not be able to be remedied by pressing, your best recourse is to submit it to the people doing the pressing and let them tell you what they can and can't potentially correct, and how each one they can might impact the grade, their opinion on the whole, and total cost. Then you weigh its present value, add on the cost of revision, and see how that stacks up against the projected value after the work is accomplished and the book is graded and slabbed. With 14 defects, best to go right to the source of correction.

It's hard for us to detect "pressable defects" from your photos.

When you hold the slab and tilt it around to reflect light off the surface of the comic, can you detect "pressable defects"?  If you detect many, then yes, it might be worth a shot.

It's also hard to see the possible "cleanable grime" on your comic by looking at your photo.

Two things that would concern me in the graders notes are "Spine Burn" & "Spine Tanning".  If the spine is burned and tanned it might mean that the spine is brittle so you would NOT want to press it IMO lest you cause more damage to the comic and possibly lower the grade.

I think it's a good looking 4.0, and could maybe get a 4.5 just from a resub, but I don't think i'd risk a press, because of the spine.