• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green River Collection/Pedigree

79 posts in this topic

It took a while, but I finished inputting and cross-checking the Green River Collection/Pedigree Report and it is now online and available. I can't guarantee that it's totally accurate but to insure the integrity of the original source material, I'll be posting scans of the source material on my website at a later date.

It's 137k and in Adobe Acrobat PDF format.

If you don't have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader loaded onto your machine, you can download it free from http://www.adobe.com

The Definitive Green River Collection Report

I'd really like to see lists for EVERY pedigree...somebody needs to talk to the original purchasers of the various collections and get those lists together.

Anybody willing to help with the names of the people who may have those lists for collections like Western Penn or Curator?

Here's guessing your name is Shin C. Kao? What books did you receive from this and how did you get them?

I'm also curious about the grade differences between the lawyer and the buyer. I'm assuming John Hauser is a decent grader but there's some big discrepencies between what the lawyer thought the grade was and John thought they were. Most of the time John was higher on them.

Brian

There are only 5 copies of FF #44. There are multiple copies from #43 to #45.

According to the manifest, those are actual Bullet Holes in those Amazing Spider-man copies.

Note that this collection was impounded by the police when they arrested the original owner as a suspect in the Green River slayings in the Washington State area. I'm not sure how the bullet holes got in there though.

Yes.

I received Daredevil #11 NM, ASM #58 NM, Avengers #22 NM, Batman #174 NM, FF #45 NM, Thor #127 NM, 2 Strange Tales #138 NM, X-men #14 NM, etc. along with all other ones listed under my initials in the database. (About 75 books in all.)

This actually all started when Mr. Beles listed his Daredevil 11 on eBay which did not meet reserve. I e-mailed him about it and ended up buying the rest of the Green River collection.

(My website is http://www.corpcity.com)

Mr. Beles was the original owner's lawyer and not really a comic book collector. He also did not use + or - in his grading and generally followed extremely conservative Overstreet grading. I don't think he used the grading guide but probably relied on the small listings in the Overstreet Price Guide. (He was just trying to recoup his legal fees.) The original owner also collected other things like police cars, uniforms, badges, etc.

Mr. Hauser bumped up the grading (considerably) on some if not most issues. Some issues he downgraded though so it seems that he was pretty fair. (I can't judge the comics sold to Mr. Hauser, but I can tell you the copies that I received should be pretty much in the same condition as Mr. Hauser's collection from 1993 although mine are graded in a much broader and lower range.)

Note that Mr. Hauser specifically did not list a lot of the lower graded titles and probably kept or sold some of the high grade comics prior to his CBG ad. He has e-mailed me and told me that he still has some of the collection although they aren't for sale.

(The comics I received had been stored in plastic bags with backing boards covering the front and back of the books.)

I posted scans from X-men #14 and Daredevil #11 on this board recently and the reviews were mixed. The books I received are pretty nice although I'm not a high grade collector like some of you.

(The scans are also available if you just go to my website and type in the directory with no specific file listed: http://www.corpcity.com/cgc/ )

I think there's a scan/photo of Batman #174 on there as well.

I just received the bulk of the other comics. If you'd like some scans, just let me know which ones you'd like to see and I'll put them up. (There are 2 ASM Annual #1's VG-FN, 80 Page Giant #9 in FN-VF, etc.) I think they tend toward the higher ranges myself, but I acknowledge that I'm not an expert on grading.

They tend to have the red date stamp on them though.

Please note that Mr. Stevens II was exonerated by the police and cleared of all involvement in the Green River murders. (He wasn't a Saint by any means though.)

Do you know if John Hauser kept notes regarding the issues he sold through the CBG, as I bought the Brave and the Bold 61 and 62 from him but have no documentation to show that it is the Green River copy. The 62 does have the red date stamp on the front cover but the 61 has no stamp. Also, do you have his EMAIL handy? Thanks--Greg. smile.gif

I haven't gotten any further responses from Mr. Hauser yet. I'll ask him for some recollections about the sale so we can document this for future collectors.

I looked through the 80 Page Giants and about half don't have the date stamp so not all of the books are stamped. Some are date stamped with the year. Some only have the month and day.

(I apologize.. but I haven't taken the majority of the books out of their bags to take a look at them yet and I can't see the covers because they are covered by a backing board.)

Thanks, the reason why I'm asking is that I may be getting those copies CGC graded and I might as well have them note them as Green River copies if I can show them some proof. However, nothing was ever provided when I first bought them in (1993?) via the CBG! frown.gif