• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green River Collection/Pedigree

79 posts in this topic

Wow - so a pyschokiller(alleged) dude into comics? That would almost seem surprising or unusual - but just look around these boards. Check those painted avatars and other distasteful pics. Hitler? Get a life for God's sake! I am sure there would be several folks around here thrilled to own the psycho-killer (alleged) pedigree collection. Too bad CGC couldn't put that on the label.

I was thinking along those lines myself. Having a psycho-killer's collection as a pedigree sure sums up our little hobby in a nutshell to many people outside the clubhouse all right... just another anti-social over-grown kid comic lover!

[sigh] confused.gifcrazy.gifconfused.giffrown.gif

Fredric Wertham could have a field day with this. Hoarding, completionist collectors are more likely to be degenerates and serial killers--somebody could probably get a grant to study that topic back in the 50s.

Actually no but blazingbob did imply that there was a colourful story behind the collection. Anything you care to elaborate on or is it taboo? crazy.gif

Hammer also said that there was something weird about the curator deal. I am beginning to worry about these pedigree collections and the type of people that would go to such trouble to preserve throw away items that cost 10 and 12 cents! But thank God they did - I know CGC thinks that!

Murph,

I personally have had alot of these Green Rivers and must say that Hauser's grading was pretty damn good.

At least on the super high end books....I.E. ASM 27,29 etc.....He graded NM/M and they slabbed out 9.6 during CGC'S winter of discontent.

I don't quite understand the initial grades, I guess conservative is good but geeesh.

I am beginning to worry about these pedigree collections and the type of people that would go to such trouble to preserve throw away items that cost 10 and 12 cents! But thank God they did - I know CGC thinks that!

I also wonder about that as well. It would take a tremendous amount of discipline and anal retentivness to put these colections together, especially back then when it was purely a speculative endeavor. After all, there was no way for them to really know how big these books would get.

HA!

How come we get to hear the Mile High story but not the ones behind Green River or Curator? I'd love to see stories like these printed up on little certificates that came with the books! tongue.gif

Ok - now it is time for the dish on Pacific Coast, Recil Monkeyman, Slobodian, White Mtn, Western Penn, Boston etc. ! Someone should right a book - there are enough so-called pedigree collections for lots of stories. Hell we already know about some coked up nut in that Mile High story. Now my curiousity is up! What other freaks are out there putting together minty fresh runs? And how can I get some of those comics with the bullet holes?

The book has already been written by E. Gerber. See front of Golden Age Photojournal vol. 1 for a description of pedigrees & a color pic of E. Church's house.

Ugh. Ask Bob Beerbohm sometime about Gerber's account of the Tom Reilly / San Francisco collection as printed in the Photojournals. Sounds like he didn't get one fact correct! shocked.gif

I've actually been bugging Matt Nelson for the past two years to put away the color touch and book press and write the definitive book on comic pedigrees. He just chuckles and says "some day" ....

However, the best form a book of this nature can take would be a collection of essays by the actual discoverers, followed by some non-libelous wink.gif editorials by those "in the know" filling in any convenient gaps (like how much Chuck paid for Mile High I) or *ahem* embellished memories.

Al

Speaking of Certificates of Authenticity.. Can someone scan in a certificate and post it here? I've never seen a certificate from the Mile High Collection and I'm wondering what it looks like. When you buy a Western Penn copy or some other Pedigreed copy, does it generally come with a certificate as well? Thanks.

(I have a letter from Mr. Beles certifying the list of the books I purchased but I don't think that it'd be appropriate to include this letter with every book should I sell some of them.)

So far, I've purchased books from Pacific coast, Western PA and Boston, all slabbed, and the only time I got a certificate was from the one Boston book I bought. I can't show the certificate though, I sold it quite a while ago. It was nothing fancy, just a generic certificate.

Ugh. Ask Bob Beerbohm sometime about Gerber's account of the Tom Reilly / San Francisco collection as printed in the Photojournals. Sounds like he didn't get one fact correct!

Unfortunately, Gerber has passed on so he cannot respond. What would Beerbohm say about Gerber's take?

I've actually been bugging Matt Nelson for the past two years to put away the color touch and book press and write the definitive book on comic pedigrees.

well then just tell him to just put away his color touch implements of destruction and leave all comics alone!!