• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green River Collection/Pedigree

79 posts in this topic

What would Beerbohm say about Gerber's take?

My recollection is that Gerber didn't even ask Bob about any of the details of the pedigree and went totally on heresay. Beerbohm was quite adament that Gerber got the facts "100% wrong."

He said Matt Nelson's pedigree article, on the other hand, was "a bit better than 50% correct," and attributed the deficiencies to "difficulty transcribing details over the phone." smile.gif At least Matt talked to Bob before writing the thing ....

As an exercise for the reader, compare and constrast these three versions:

1) Gerber's Photojournal article.

2) Matt Nelson's article.

3) Beerbohm's own letter describing the discovery printed in CBM #42 (December 1996).

Then speculate about how wrong the details are about other pedigrees! frown.gif

Al

well then just tell him to just put away his color touch implements of destruction and leave all comics alone!!

(I'm not touching the merits/disadvantages of restoration with a ten foot pole!) smile.gif

However, I'm sure if we all chipped in and were able to provide Matt with a few year's worth of wages, he would be more than happy to put down the color touch and write that pedigree book! Howzabout selling one of those houses, Murph0? laugh.gif

Al

Howzabout selling one of those houses, Murph0?
Even better, he could sell me his Spidey #1 CGC 9.0. That would DEFINITELY fund it!

Hey--by the way--you guys are all a bunch of lazy SOBs. shocked.giftongue.gif Do you guys all think that Matt was born knowing the details of all those Golden Age pedigrees? It's called research--you can do it too!!! smirk.gif

I guess it also helps to be a good listener, and good speaker, and a good writer. I've been thinking about doing the research on the Silver Age pedigrees and compiling it; anybody think I should? My main problem with the endeavor is that I don't even LIKE most of the Silver Age pedigrees; they all tend to have date stamps and cover writing, which quite frankly isn't prevalent on Silver like it is on Gold and it ticks me off as a collector. I won't touch Green River, Winnipeg, or Ohio as a buyer. But I'm highly interested in some of the primo pedigrees with marks like Curator, Western Penn, Pacific Coast, Massachusetts, and Boston. Should I do some calling and writing? If so, and anybody knows the names of the contacts, please send them my way...Murph already sent me what he knew about the Western Penn original owner.

The PDF link has been updated to reflect a new version of the report. It'll probably be revised as Mr. Hauser corroborates certain problems with the manifest. (For instance, the 5 copies of Superman Annual #1 turned out to be 5 copies of 80 Page Giant #1.)

I've also put copies of the original manifest and attachments sent to me in the same directory, including the original CBG ad from March 26, 1993.

I've been thinking about doing the research on the Silver Age pedigrees and compiling it; anybody think I should?

Go for it James, it would be very useful, especially if you include ways to indentify the different pedigree collections.

I haven't seen much written about the Silver Age pedigrees other than the obvious ones like White Mountain.

I've been thinking about doing the research on the Silver Age pedigrees and compiling it; anybody think I should?

I wish I had some contacts for you but I don't. but I will echo "Go for it!" Now is the time to garner information. When many folks are still alive. In my pother area of interest, old films, most of those involved are long dead and the only information that can be gleaned is from handed-down stories (always changed in the telling), sterile studio records (many have been long destroyed) and the like. This is the time to garner info! ESPECIALLY on the SA, cause many of those involved are still around.

Marnin Rosenburg bought the Mass books. Phil Levine bought the Bethlehems. Hasuer can shed some Light on the Green River and Curator books.Robert Roter at Pacific Comics Excahange bought the Pacific Coast books himself, so I heard.

I've already asked Mr. Hauser about the Curator books as well. If you want to put the list together, I can forward you any information I get on them. (Or you can ask him yourself at jmhcomics@aol.com)

Right now, it looks like I don't have a complete Green River list as Mr. Steven's brother also collected comics. There may be twice as many books out there as was previously thought.

The brother sold some to a Spokane dealer according to Mr. Hauser. I don't have Overstreets from the past twenty years, but apparently some dealer noted that he sold some Spider-man Annual #1's. If anyone knows who this dealer is, please let me know.

Thanks much.

I also say go for it. But you'll definetly have to put your preferences aside and be as objective as possible.

But then again, I thought you were hard at work, trying to solve our grading guideline woes? That would definetly be a more significant book. Or how about a book on restoration, or something else that you seem highly motivated by? If done well, they would definetly be a great service to the hobby. smile.gif

I think you answered your own queston, dude!!
Well the info doesn't come out of thin air...I don't think I can go to the library or local business bureaus and find records of comic book deals or original owner collections. The pieces of the puzzle have gotta come from collectors or dealers, possibly even ones who read this thread.

I got back some Green River books from CGC. All have the Blue Universal label. Here are the grades.

Amazing Spider-man #58 VF/NM 9.0

Batman #174 VF+ 8.5

Strange Tales #138 VF/NM 9.0

Fantastic Four #45 VF+ 8.5

Avengers #22 VF+ 8.5

Daredevil #11 NM 9.4

X-men #14 VF+ 8.5

Thor #127 NM 9.4

Yes, they were all slabbed as Green River copies.

I sent them my research actually and pointed them to a copy of a signed declaration by the seller attesting to their authenticity. Never got a response back so I assume they thought that was enough. (They may also have read this thread.)

[ I thought I'd move this post from the Main site to this thread to keep the information together. ]

=======================================================

Well, if you remember, I purchased a sizable quantity of Green River pedigree books earlier this year. The ORIGINAL purchaser of the collection put some 75 books on eBay this past week. It turns out that John Hauser did NOT purchase the Green River books by himself.. but went into the deal as a 50-50 partner with the person known as *sponge_bob* on eBay. They recouped their expenses with the CBG ad and then split the rest of the books. They paid $25,000 for the Green River Collection in the early 1990's. (A lot of this information came out because I stumbled onto the auctions by accident and emailed the seller for information.)

*sponge_bob* sold most of his books about five years ago for a new car, however. The Green River books he put on auction this week were mostly what remained of his share of that collection.

The auctions ending tonight were beautifully arranged about 4 minutes apart. This allowed people to shift their bidding strategy based on how the previous auctions were turning out.

Since I own some Green River books, I know their general condition so I have a pretty good idea of the ACTUAL condition of the books up for auction. (Some people may have been wary of overbidding due to massive overgrading.)

If you click on this link, you'll see how the action went:

Link to *sponge_bob*'s recent auctions

I managed to snipe the first few auctions pretty easily but the strategy shifted and I got sniped in return. I was concentrating mostly on the NM books but it went back and forth all night. I ended up with 16 auctions. Ancientspawn ended up with 10 auctions. A user named Palumboa ended up with 3. Others came in on single auctions and outsniped me or just outbid everyone else.

I grabbed a couple of the DC books, but generally, we were going after the Marvel ones. A lot of the auctions ended up way higher than I thought it would go so my snipes didn't get launched. Most of my DC bids ended up being sniped as well since I didn't load them as high. (Just trying for some deals, etc.)

Hopefully, I ended up with a bunch of HG SA books that are close to NM.

It's weird, but I probably enjoyed that more than getting the actual books. (They're not key books by any means.)