• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Usagi #1 Cover for sale

58 posts in this topic

I was going to throw in a $1500 bid for the hell of it (knowing I more than likely wouldn't win), but I won't bid on something if I am uncomfortable with the payment terms obviously. I am not saying anything about the seller and even understand their stance to a certain extent - it is just not my preference.

That being said. Go for it!

I was going to throw in a $1500 bid for the hell of it (knowing I more than likely wouldn't win), but I won't bid on something if I am uncomfortable with the payment terms obviously. I am not saying anything about the seller and even understand their stance to a certain extent - it is just not my preference.

I don't think anything is fishy with this auction. Paypal fees are roughly 3%, so for a $2k final price, he'd rather save the $60. confused-smiley-013.gif If I recall correctly, I think he had listed this a year or two ago, but decided against selling it at the time. I'll see if I can dig up those emails, but that seller was in southern California, like this one.

Well, the bidder's list looks like a "who's who" from the CGC boards. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

Everyone, back off. sumo.gif This cover clearly needs to be with its sister cover at my home. Then, all I'll need is to win the lottery to pry the Albedo #2 cover free from that collector's hands.

I can be bought off to stop bidding devil.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think anything is fishy with this auction. Paypal fees are roughly 3%, so for a $2k final price, he'd rather save the $60. confused-smiley-013.gif If I recall correctly, I think he had listed this a year or two ago, but decided against selling it at the time. I'll see if I can dig up those emails, but that seller was in southern California, like this one.

Like I said, I wasn't saying anything about the seller and even understand the no paypal/credit card thing - I just personally would not send out a large amount money order to someone I had not dealt with before. But that's just me.

Really? Am I the only one who thinks it's a so-so cover? Yeah, it's the #1, but there were at least a few covers that predated this one, including the two Albedo covers, right?

I'd much rather have the Summer Special cover (hint hint).

I was the high bidder - until I realized that I will be away on Sunday and unable to track the auction at its conclusion - and after seeing the Summer Special spread - I kinda lost interest in this cover anyway. The allure is lost knowing that such a superior cover exists...

--dem1138 aka seriousenterprises on eBay

Really? Am I the only one who thinks it's a so-so cover? Yeah, it's the #1, but there were at least a few covers that predated this one, including the two Albedo covers, right?

I'd much rather have the Summer Special cover (hint hint).

Hi Hari,

I thought you'd at least put in a bid on this one. I know you really like the Summer Special cover...but no. tongue.gif Personally, the only cover I'd rather have is Albedo 2. As for Usagi covers, there's also Albedo 4, Critters 1, 3, and 14. Critters #3 is nice. 893applaud-thumb.gif

The cover doesn't "grab" me. I wasn't a huge Usagi fan, but I remember reading the Summer Special, and of course the run in Albedo. Other than those covers, I'm not really that interested. I was a much bigger Grendel fan, thus my interest in obtaining the Grendel #1 cover a few weeks ago.

I hear you about Albedo 2.... fantastic cover!

Ah, don't worry Hari - I'm sure you'll break him down eventually. wink.gif

BTW, Hari - what piece would you consider to be your OA Holy Grail? Is it something you own already or would like to eventually own?

As for Usagi, I've always liked the character because Usagi Yojimbo #4(?) was the only comic book my dad ever bought me (he has always thought that comics are a colossal waste of time and money), for reasons I still don't know to this day. Frankly, I'm not even sure where he would have bought it, as I'm quite sure he's never set foot into a comic book store - was the series ever distributed outside of the direct market? confused-smiley-013.gif

Hi Gene,

I'd say the Steranko cover to Cap 110 is my overall Grail. I know where it is, but it isn't for sale at the moment. There are other pieces of art that would make me equally happy, such as the cover to Miracleman #1 (don't know where it is) by Leach, and Crisis #8 (I already own it) by Perez, a nice interior page from the Killing Joke (I already own two), and a particular splash page from the Dark Knight (know where it is, and may eventually be sold to me, but seller not ready to sell yet).

I've never used the term Grail because there simply are multiple pieces that fall into that category for me, and no one piece would satisfy me completely. Hence, the need for having a "collection". I've often wondered if I'd sell/trade everything for that one special piece, and the answer is a resounding 'no'.

How about you Gene? What's your Grail?

Hi Gene,

I'd say the Steranko cover to Cap 110 is my overall Grail. I know where it is, but it isn't for sale at the moment. There are other pieces of art that would make me equally happy, such as the cover to Miracleman #1 (don't know where it is) by Leach, and Crisis #8 (I already own it) by Perez, a nice interior page from the Killing Joke (I already own two), and a particular splash page from the Dark Knight (know where it is, and may eventually be sold to me, but seller not ready to sell yet).

I've never used the term Grail because there simply are multiple pieces that fall into that category for me, and no one piece would satisfy me completely. Hence, the need for having a "collection". I've often wondered if I'd sell/trade everything for that one special piece, and the answer is a resounding 'no'.

Hari, the DK splash wouldn't be the one of him on the horse, would it?

Hi Gene,

Hari, the DK splash wouldn't be the one of him on the horse, would it?

that piece is amazing....and from what i heard, Benno bought it long ago, when prices were dramatically lower......no doubt, there are a few collectors out there with their eye on that page !

The horse splash is great, but my DKR "grail" is the splash of Bruce stomping on Superman's face from the end of the story. It's actually in a CAF gallery right now (Charley Williamson I believe).