• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAD MAX: FURIOSA starring Anya Taylor-Joy, Chris Hemsworth (2024)
6 6

287 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2024 at 8:05 AM, Microchip said:

The elephant in the room with this film is a vegan-esk looking woman stepping into the post apocalyptic boots of Mad Max.   In a setting where brutality is the constant theme of survival over death, having a adolescent waif wearing the grease paint as the person we're meant to rally behind, is a faux par from the get go.    

I personally thought she managed to carry it off.   They played her with cunning, and skill over muscle and gasoline.    Anya is an adept actor, just poorly cast in this film.    Going from the chest board to a gun-show's worth of armament isn't lining up with the fan's following her cinematic career. 

Her casting was spot on. Reviews, across the board from critics and audiences, are amazing. Specifically on her performance.

The underperformance of this movie has nothing to do with the casting, acting or writing of the film, obviously.

"Vegan-esk looking" I wish we had an emoji for cringe. Welcome to Hollywood.

Posted (edited)

She was awesome!  Something about her skin and bones is almost intimidating, especially when the wasteland has transmogrified her parts by the end of the film.  Bad beyotch :golfclap:

Hemsworth was great, too.  Over the top gonzo but also calculating and weaselly.

Edited by Darwination

For my own part I liked the movie a lot. I think the film from the franchise it most closely resembles is Beyond Thunderdome, where up til this point the series was at its most fantastical. It is significantly better than that movie though. I liked the exploration of the fragile economy of the three fortresses, and of what separates a guy like Dementus, a charismatic bully who can't really keep a functioning society together through force of personality, from Immortan Joe who is like a god to his followers.  Also, the callback to OG Mad Max's theme of vengeance leaving you empty inside; Max kills the people responsible for the death of his family but then is left with no reason to keep going, and wanders off into the wasteland searching for a reason to live, Furiosa gets vengeance for her mother and her lost childhood but it does not bring her peace or satisfaction. Hence why her stated motivation in Fury Road is "redemption". I don't know if we'll ever get another Max-verse movie from Miller, but if we don't I am satisfied for the franchise to go out on this bittersweet, evocative note. 

On 5/27/2024 at 11:00 AM, Bosco685 said:

What are folks waiting on to see this movie?

Screenshot_20240527-1259242.png.73b05f46296cf0680b287fff1fe93f4e.png

Will likely see it this weekend!

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 6:11 AM, Bosco685 said:

image.png.c9dc066d453325accdc9f8453d4c63b0.png

The versions are release as "black and chrome" versions.   He might be ahead of the pack on this one.

Edited by Microchip

On 5/28/2024 at 2:04 AM, I like pie said:

Her casting was spot on. Reviews, across the board from critics and audiences, are amazing. Specifically on her performance.

The underperformance of this movie has nothing to do with the casting, acting or writing of the film, obviously.

"Vegan-esk looking" I wish we had an emoji for cringe. Welcome to Hollywood.

So the same crowd that loved Queens Gambit is going along to a Mad Max film, really? 

On 5/26/2024 at 10:36 PM, drmccoy74 said:

In the words of Immortan Joe. ..

"mediocre "

This Mad Max movie probably could have used a little bit of Mad Max?

I thought Chris Hemsworth character was really disappointing.  Generic 

That's a shame. :cry:

I thought Hemsworth was A+ outstanding in the film, way better than any THOR movie!

Best villains are the ones you hate and then laugh with in the same movie.

I've heard good things about this movie, but honestly I'm not surprised it isn't doing big numbers at the box office.  It is a prequel to a movie that came out 9 years ago (2015) that broke even at the box office.

So now they make a prequel about (and I use this term loosely) a side character (although lets be real Furiosa was the main character in Mad Max: Fury Road, it wasn't Max himself) from a 9 year old film and they spend more money making this prequel than they did the first one.

I'm not saying this is a bad film, but wow the execs at the studios really need to look at budgets.

The number of movies that have grossed over $100 million in half of 2024 is very, very few.  Hollywood better get a lot better at being able to make big movies for $40 - $50 million if they want to post a profit.

Saw it last night with my buddy and we both brought our sons who are in their early teens. Both my fellow Gen X buddy and I loved it……. Our sons thought is was just “good” and “long”.   The dads spent the trip home talking about the vehicles, how great Anya was, the surprises, George Miller, our experience seeing the Road Warrior at our sons’ age, how badass the characters looked, and on and on.  Our sons joked around and spent the entire time talking about everything but the movie.