• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAD MAX: FURIOSA starring Anya Taylor-Joy, Chris Hemsworth (2024)
6 6

226 posts in this topic

George Miller told Deadline about Furiosa having a deep backstory in the Mad Max universe, and now we’ll finally get to see it: Warner Bros. is in advanced development with Furiosa, a spinoff feature of Miller’s multi-Oscar winning blockbuster Mad Max: Fury Road about the renegade character (played in that film by Oscar winner Charlize Theron) who was a notable force in Max’s survival in the desert.

The standalone movie will reveal the origins of Furiosa and be played by Glass actress Anya Taylor-Joy in the title role. The movie will track the genesis of Furiosa before she teamed up with Max Rockatansky in Fury Road. Chris Hemsworth and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II will also star in a movie that Miller will also direct, co-write and produce with his longtime Oscar-nominated producing partner Doug Mitchell. Miller’s own Australian-based Kennedy Miller Mitchell banner will produce.

Miller penned the -script with Mad Max: Fury Road co-writer Nico Lathouris. Miller’s behind-the-scenes creative team includes such longtime Australian collaborators as production designer Colin Gibson, editor Margaret Sixel, sound mixer Ben Osmo, and makeup designer Lesley Vanderwalt, each of whom won an Oscar for their work on “Mad Max: Fury Road,” as well as first assistant director PJ Voeten and second unit director and stunt coordinator Guy Norris.

Taylor-Joy recently finished filming Edgar Wright’s Last Night in Soho and is currently filming Robert Eggers’ The Northman. She was recently seen as the lead in the romantic comedy Emma, based on the Jane Austen novel.  Her additional features include the sci-fi thrillers Split and Glass from M. Night Shyamalan.  Beginning later this month, she can be seen starring as a chess prodigy in the miniseries The Queen’s Gambit.

Hemsworth is star of Marvel’s Avengers and Thor franchise; the latest sequel Thor: Love & Thunder filming next March in Australia and in pre-production currently.

Abdul-Mateen II starred as the iconic Super-Villain Black Manta in James Wan’s billion-dollar blockbuster Aquaman.  He is currently filming the fourth installment in The Matrix series and can be seen as Bobby Seale in Netflix’s The Trial of the Chicago 7, in theaters now and streaming on Friday.  Next up, he will star in Universal/MGM’s Candyman, releasing 2021. His other work includes roles in the horror-thriller Us, The Greatest Showman. Abdul-Mateen recently won an Emmy Award for his performance in the acclaimed limited series Watchmen.

Tweet
Play Mad Max: Fury Ro…
on Amazon Prime Video
We will all witness the return of Furiosa.

One of the most interesting — and few upbeat — stories during the coronavirus pandemic, has been director George Miller quietly plotting away at his planned Mad Max spinoff/prequel that will focus on the life of Furiosa, Charlize Theron’s hero from Mad Max: Fury Road, in her earlier years. Even as most of the world has been on lockdown, Miller’s been developing the project — auditioning actors over Zoom when meeting in person was impossible. Not even the world becoming an actual dystopian hellscape could stop George Miller from making another Mad Max.

Tweet
Play Mad Max: Fury Ro…
on Amazon Prime Video
We will all witness the return of Furiosa.

One of the most interesting — and few upbeat — stories during the coronavirus pandemic, has been director George Miller quietly plotting away at his planned Mad Max spinoff/prequel that will focus on the life of Furiosa, Charlize Theron’s hero from Mad Max: Fury Road, in her earlier years. Even as most of the world has been on lockdown, Miller’s been developing the project — auditioning actors over Zoom when meeting in person was impossible. Not even the world becoming an actual dystopian hellscape could stop George Miller from making another Mad Max.

And now it looks like he’s found the actor to play the young Furiosa. The Hollywood Reporter says Anya Taylor-Joy of The New Mutants and The Witch will play the title role, with Chris Hemsworth, and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II both attached to play other key roles. Before you even ask, yes, George Miller is expecting to direct the film. However, the project isn’t exactly about to start shooting tomorrow:

"Although the movie is not greenlit, the castings put the project onto the path of getting made after years of anticipation from movie fans and years of teasing by Miller, who had said he wanted to return to the character and that post-apocalyptic world. Miller will direct, co-write and produce the project, working with longtime producing partner Doug Mitchell and their Australian-based Kennedy Miller Mitchell banner."

It’s hard to imagine a more exciting sounding project than a new George Miller Mad Max movie starring Anya Taylor-Joy, Chris Hemsworth, and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II — except, of course, for a Furiosa movie starring Charlize Theron as Furiosa. Still, this is a very solid #2. Let’s hope that greenlight happens before the real world gets any closer to catching up with Mad Max.

Anya-Taylor Joy is a terrible choice.

She has the acting depth of a saucer.

Good to see Australian Chris Hemsworth in an Australian based franchise. Hopefully they use more local talent in this one (but not Bruce Spence.....)

Edited by Beige

Obvious choice for me is Millie Bobby Brown (Stranger Things + the very good Enola Holmes)

57bb3580db5ce99d168b80f3.thumb.jpg.84ad4ab5dc5fdc91b6139a677ee08101.jpg

1280_b02_mad_max_fury_road.thumb.jpg.09d4cb4e92dfef63d9902d5daad378d2.jpg

Edited by Beige

On 12/25/2020 at 9:45 AM, Beige said:

Obvious choice for me is Millie Bobby Brown (Stranger Things + the very good Enola Holmes)

I'm surprised nobody else thinks MBB wouldn't have been a better choice (shrug)

On 12/24/2020 at 8:51 PM, media_junkie said:

Well I'm happy for the people that are excited to see this getting made.  I for one did not enjoy Mad Max: Fury Road at all.  I appreciate the stunt work that went into the movie, but I just did not enjoy the movie.

I was really bummed MM didn’t have his dog (a dog). I’m a proud Australian Cattle Dog owner myself and The Road Warrior was the first time I saw the breed and the reason I got one. RIP Rufus.

009178DA-E4C2-42F6-80D8-5FBC454FA1EA.jpeg

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 12/25/2020 at 1:27 AM, Beige said:

Hopefully they use more local talent in this one (but not Bruce Spence.....)

Why? Spence would be awesome to add as a minor character. Or just a cameo. No one would notice except die-hards.

57 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Why? Spence would be awesome to add as a minor character. Or just a cameo. No one would notice except die-hards.

Because he's 75 (shrug)

I guess so, add Steve Bisley, and Steve Clark as well, and it would work.

Roger Ward (Chief) is now 85 but who knows. 

The last of the V8 crew.

Like it.

Edited by Beige

8 minutes ago, Beige said:

Because he's 75 (shrug)

I guess so, add Steve Bisley, and Steve Clark as well, and it would work.

Roger Ward (Chief) is now 85 but who knows. 

The last of the V8 crew.

Like it.

I know he’s up there in age and didn’t expect him to be flying in an action scene. Just a small relevant cameo would be cool. Crusty old guy selling Max some gas in a bartertown or something.

Mad Max: Fury Road composer Junkie XL confirms he’s working on the score for the spinoff movie centered on Furiosa. Released in 2015, Fury Road not only revived the high-octane action franchise begun with 1979’s Mad Max, it took that franchise to new and unexpected heights. The film went on to gross $375 million at the worldwide box office while snagging ten Oscar nominations including one for Best Picture.

Given Fury Road’s big box office take and wide cultural impact, it’s no surprise that director George Miller is going ahead with another Mad Max sequel. What is perhaps surprising is that this sequel will not center on Mad Max himself, but will instead focus on Furiosa, the character played in Fury Road by Oscar-winner Charlize Theron. But Theron to many people’s chagrin will not be back to play Furiosa in the follow-up, as the new movie will go back in time to depict the character at a younger age. Instead of using deaging effects on Theron, the new movie has cast The Queen’s Gambit star Anya Taylor-Joy to portray the more youthful Furiosa.

Few details have been revealed about the upcoming Fury Road prequel beyond Taylor-Joy’s casting. One new nugget of information was however just dropped by Fury Road composer Junkie XL, who says he’s coming back to do the music for the Furiosa film. Appearing on the Film Junkee Vodka Stream, Junkie XL was asked about his involvement in the Fury Road follow-up. “It’s coming,” he said. “George and I work together. So I’m actually currently working with him on a different movie before that movie is being made.”

At a recent press-conference to officially announce the project, Premier Gladys Berejiklian said that Furiosa will be "the biggest ever film to be made in Australia, supporting more than 850 local jobs and bringing in $350 million to the economy." The film will kick off production early next year and George Miller teased how it will be different from Fury Road, describing it as a saga.

"Whereas Fury Road essentially happened over three days and two nights, this happens over many years. You try to make films that are 'uniquely familiar'. This will be familiar to those people who know Mad Max, and in particular Fury Road, but also it will be unique."

• O’Connor: Same. I want to ask you about “Mad Max.” You’re doing a prequel. Is it “Furiosa”? Have you started shooting it now?
  • Taylor-Joy: No. I’ve got a grace period until August, and then I will be working back to back until mid-2023.

• O’Connor: Yeah. Good.
  • Taylor-Joy: Hear me out about this. Everyone thought I was mental doing “Emma,” Edgar and “Queen’s Gambit.” And to be fair, I was. I recognize that. It was a wild thing to do, but I had to do it. I’ve realized now how unhealthy I am, and the way that I’m thinking about it is if I can get a routine where I exist off of something other than Diet Coke and cigarettes and I can do this and be happier. The thing that makes me most excited about “Furiosa” is, No. 1, George Miller. That brain is incredible. I’m also really excited to do something physical. To physically become something else is something that will weirdly give me a lot of peace.

With just over a month remaining until the film's release, Hardy caught up with Esquire to discuss his Sony/Marvel sequel Venom: Let There Be Carnage. In reflecting on Mad Max: Fury Road and the franchise's future with Furiosa, Hardy expressed excitement over the direction to focus on the titular Imperator and discussed that his film was intended to put her in the spotlight, but notes Max's story isn't necessarily over. See what Hardy said below:

“That was ultimately Furiosa’s movie, which was fantastic. Fury Road. Furiosa. It was in the title. If you look at it now, it was a changeover of hands in a way, from Mad Max to Furiosa.  That’s what they’re filming now. Furiosa. It was a very well-implemented changing of the guard. [Creator George Miller’s] still got Mad Max, but he’s split his feed between two characters, and that’s really, really cool.”

On 12/26/2020 at 6:21 PM, Beige said:
On 12/24/2020 at 5:45 PM, Beige said:

Expand  

I'm surprised nobody else thinks MBB wouldn't have been a better choice (shrug)

Yeah I'm really late to the thread, but just reading through now, and I agree completely she would be a great choice. I'm assuming the prequel will be a Tragedy kind of storyline, and it's going to need something special for the lead. Don't know anything about the actress they have cast, so no criticism of her, but if the movie is going to be serious about the character, its going to have to take the female lead places they don't normally go in action movies. Come to think of it, male leads don't often get there either. 

I loved Fury Road, but wasn't surprised to read not everyone did, my neighbour went to see it originally after I had come back from the theater raving about it, and he just looked at me like he saw lots of movies everyday no different  than that one, and "what's the big deal"? etc...I'm not sure what people were expecting, who were disappointed, but for me it delivered everything and more than I was expecting. The scene of the warriors being swept up to "Valhalla" in the sandstorm was an awesome spectacle. You could watch every Marvel movie good and bad and not find a single scene that was comparable.

I haven't seen much of Hardy so I can't comment on his acting, but the character of Max introduced at the beginning of the movie pretty obviously doesn't have much to chat about, or to say, he's just emptied out already (he's literally going to be bled dry). It's Furiosa that brings something back to Max, and she gave the movie its intensity, and its imo a large part of what made the movie different and finally a success. And the reason of course they are planning a prequel. 

For those with deep pockets (or like 2-3 comic books they are willing to sell in this market) a good chunk of the working cars from Fury Road are now being auctioned. Someone please buy me the XB Interceptor.

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/AuctionLots.aspx?smode=0&aid=25652&_ga=2.91937306.1095896251.1631116581-859284818.1631116581

On 9/9/2021 at 3:03 PM, Sauce Dog said:

For those with deep pockets (or like 2-3 comic books they are willing to sell in this market) a good chunk of the working cars from Fury Road are now being auctioned. Someone please buy me the XB Interceptor.

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/AuctionLots.aspx?smode=0&aid=25652&_ga=2.91937306.1095896251.1631116581-859284818.1631116581

THE DOOF WAGON

doof.thumb.png.acc50fa626c0dfbf927cd4bef00d24f2.png

My neighbors would love me for it

(: