• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double Action comics #1
2 2

66 posts in this topic

But, I think you have to much a stake here to be an objective observer.

I don't have anything at stake other than the fact that I was fascinated enough to track down what existed and have a mock-up made, purely out of a collector's interest.

i think ian what he meant when he said[you have to much at stake to be objective]

is that if it does exsist].than you will not have every d.c piece ever produced.so it is in your interest that it dosnt exsist....this is not my opinion or what i wish to believe.it is simply my opinion of what hes trying to say.and i can be wrong...

i think ian what he meant when he said you have to much at stake to be objective

is that if it does exsist then you will not have every d.c piece ever produced.

No one could ever have every dc piece ever produced because of all the giveaways, premiums, custom presses, and advertising comics, that no-one, least of all DC themselves, could ever know them all.

Even though I do have most of them.

But I have every DC ever released for sale as a comic.

And if Double Action 1 did exist, then it certainly wasn't ever offered for sale anywhere, so it doesn't count as part of the full set, although strangely, Double Action 2 does seem to have been sold in the shops.

Steve (or Vinnie):

1974 pre-dates Joe Desris' association with Sol by over 10 years. The Double Action 1 ashcan came from Sol then? I think he was still employed at that time so I highly doubt he would be raiding DC's archives for his own gain.

Are you positive about this? You never mentioned this to me before...

--Gary

And if Double Action 1 did exist, then it certainly wasn't ever offered for sale anywhere, so it doesn't count as part of the full set

What proof do you have that it was never offerred for sale? Just curious how you can come to this conclusion and make such a statement?

I think Ian's collection consist of DC's that were originally for sale, the Double Action 1 wasn't. Any thing else that Ian has in his collection that wasn't offered up for sale is simply gravy on top of his amazing and complete DC collection. I think it's a tremendous feat.

I think Ian's collection consist of DC's that were originally for sale, the Double Action 1 wasn't. Any thing else that Ian has in his collection that wasn't offered up for sale is simply gravy on top of his amazing and complete DC collection. I think it's a tremendous feat.

I not downgrading Ian's accomplishment or trying to be a , I find the history of these rare books facinating. Ian seems to think that one doesn't exist yet there are a few experts here who would suggest otherwise and yet he still maintains that they were never offered for sale? How does he know that and how can he confirm that? Because a copy was missing from the DC archives? Is that enough to say it doesn't exist? I'm all ears. popcorn.gif

I not downgrading Ian's accomplishment or trying to be a , I find the history of these rare books facinating. Ian seems to think that one doesn't exist yet there are a few experts here who would suggest otherwise and yet he still maintains that they were never offered for sale? How does he know that and how can he confirm that? Because a copy was missing from the DC archives? Is that enough to say it doesn't exist? I'm all ears. popcorn.gif

Just FYI, he didn't say it doesn't exist. He said it was never sold to the public through any retail outlets. I seem to recall Ian saying a few times that Paul Levitz from DC confirmed this for him.

Just FYI, he didn't say it doesn't exist. He said it was never sold to the public through any retail outlets. I seem to recall Ian saying a few times that Paul Levitz from DC confirmed this for him.

I believe that it's quite clear. Ian is saying the book doesn't exist.

I still don't believe this.

It won't be the first mistake to appear in Overstreet.

One known copy.... then where is it ???

My reproduction of the original artwork is the only authentic Double Action 1 around.

Also I agree the book (Double Action 1) was never offered for public distribution and wouldn't count toward his set.

Edited by Rip

I believe that it's quite clear. Ian is saying the book doesn't exist.

I still don't believe this.

It won't be the first mistake to appear in Overstreet.

One known copy.... then where is it ???

My reproduction of the original artwork is the only authentic Double Action 1 around.

Also I agree the book (Double Action 1) was never offered for public distribution and wouldn't count toward his set.

You're right, Rip. I was thinking of his follow-up comment when I wrote that, but he clearly said before that he does not believe the book was ever printed.

Consider that Paul Levitz also said the Remco Warlord Comic was never published and several collectors including Ian himeself has since found copies.

Earl.

That's a good point. 893whatthe.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's not a fake.

I promised not to break a confidence and I keep my promises.

But it's not a fake. It's the real artwork from the time. Whether a finished copy ever did exist and has been lost to the ravages of time I guess is a question that we will continue to ask.

Ian, what I don't understand is why anyone would have an incentive to insist that you keep information that is of great interest to the collecting community "confidential". Your anonymous source can keep his identity secret, but why won't he let you disclose what he told you about the history and authenticity of Double Action #1? The very fact that he is keeping everything secret raises questions about the legitimacy of the book.