• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roy Thomas 1981 Interview: Mad at Marvel!
1 1

75 posts in this topic

Thanks! Really enjoying this (thumbsu Roy always seemed like "one of us". It reminded me that I've been meaning to finish "Marvel Comics: The Untold Story". I think I'm about half way finished. Somewhere in the Shooter era or maybe it just ended. Hope I book-marked it :idea:

6 minutes ago, RANDOM ACTS said:

Roy Thomas was a great writer when he was using Robert E. Howard as a benchmark for the Conan the Barbarian comic books, but without that his stuff was mediocre at best. His Spider-Man stories stunk. Kind of reminds me how I loved the Game of Thrones HBO series when they were adapting the George Martin stories, but they stunk after they stopped adapting those stories.

That`s Roy Thomas and he should give a huge applause to Barry Smith and John Buscema for carrying him.

I never really paid attention I always liked him cause i'm a Barry Windsor Newton Challington Harworth Smith Conan fan but looking at his marvel bibliography yeah-nothin there really wows me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Thomas#Marvel_Comics_2

18 minutes ago, RANDOM ACTS said:

Weird that under Jim Shooter Marvel became a powerhouse and their comics were on time, than Shooter created Valiant. What did Roy Thomas do? Adapt some Robert E. Howard Conan comic books. 

anyone could have done that-the dialogue was almost completely verbatim Howard.  All he had to do was edit a bit.