• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your favorite single cover of all time? Pick one, just one...

61 posts in this topic

That is a great cover. Especially when you read the story and forget about the cover and when you finish, look back at the cover. It brought tears to my eyes the first time I read it. Anyway, I'll take out my tampon smile.gif and give my favorite cover at the moment, Tales of Suspense 52. It won't upload the file for some reason (file is less than 70000 bytes), but it's the first Black Widow issue.

What's your favorite single cover of all time?

For me, it's X-Men #94, and I'm not just saying that because of the book's historic importance. I don't know why so many people bag on the cover - I think it's absolutely spectacular. You've got the X-Men falling out of an exploding airplane over Colorado and the countenance of a menacing Count Nefaria in the background delivering the line which still causes chills to run down my spine - "X-Men, You Came Seeking Count Nefaria!! Instead you have found only -- DEATH!" I also dig that deep, dark bluish green color which isn't seen on too many covers.

Some of my other personal faves would include X-Men #50 (Steranko), X-Men #56 (Adams), X-Men #172 (P. Smith), Amazing Spider-Man #122 (Romita), Amazing Spider-Man #136 (Andru), Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD #1 (Steranko), Conan the Barbarian #24 (Windsor-Smith), Daredevil #181 (Miller), Daredevil #227 (Mazzuchelli), Thor #337 (Simonson), Wolverine Limited #1 (Miller), Judge Dredd #1 (Bolland).

Gene

Great question....but can't pick just one...some of my favorites that come to mind right away are:

Moderns----

Uncanny X-men # 251 & Uncanny X-men # 234

97792366288.251.gif97792366288.234.gif

Captain America 5 (New Series)

14467164947.5.gif

I don't know why, (maybe cause of the baby) but I like this one:

Daredevil (Vol 2 #5)

21268951208.5.gif

Kaare Andrews re-works of classic images for the Hulk covers:

namely these two Hulk # 38 & Hulk # 49

41321098996.38.gif41321098996.49.gif

God! There are just so many to list I think I could list...I know I could put up about 100...throught-out the years........these are just some that come to mind right away..and I've looked at recently...

Tough to pick out just one....so seeing as Barry Windsor Smith is my favorite artist I will post two of my favorites as they are of equal quality to me...

Conan #16

conan16.jpg

Conan #20

conan20.jpg

Action Comics #419 is the one, for me, that started a serious love affair with comic books.

Classic Neal Adams pencils with inks by Murphy Anderson(photograph by Jack Adler,I believe).

A truly dynamic and original cover,arguably the *best* photo cover that DC ever put out.

Also the best example of unlikely penciler/inker combinations that just *rock*.

"Is Hilary Duff the new Lynn-Holly Johnson or is she just photographed that way?"

Love that Spirit of '76 Disney cover. I commissioned Wm Van Horn to do a watercolor recreation for me.

Hope we haven't forgotten Kirby's contributions to Marvel covers.

x1fc.jpg

Others just have a black spine fetish:

wolv3.jpg