• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,320 posts in this topic

Gene Colan is just SO under rated..... everyone knows about his Daredevil and TOD stuff.... so under rated may not really be an accurate assessment.... but his Atlas output is so versatile. An artist who got much work from Atlas in the 50's HAD to be. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

101_2130.jpg

101_2132.jpg

101_2133.jpg

101_2135.jpg

Thought I'd post a few ST's that aren't seen a lot.

Russ Heath cover

photo STRTALES19_zps0e244093.jpg

This was the last precode issue that I acquired for my collection. Hard to find, IMO. Harry Anderson cover.

photo STRTALES32_zpsa2780d60.jpg

photo STRTALES35_zpsd8f2677d.jpg

photo STRTALES38_zps0a3b5337.jpg

photo STRTALES39_zps9b736c12.jpg

photo STRTALES47_zpsb0951767.jpg

Here are a few more ST's

Half these issues and the ones I previously showed, were from the same collection purchased at my first Chicago Con in the early 90's. Beautiful white fresh pages, I haven't looked a these books in years.

photo STRTALES33_zps7360f8c6.jpg

photo STRTALES37_zps18060927.jpg

photo STRTALES41_zpsbee47e03.jpg

photo STRTALES42_zps103fb484.jpg

Another very difficult issue to find in any grade.

photo STRTALES44_zps2a8bd3cc.jpg

photo STRTALES49_zps88a95dc6.jpg

All great! The ST 33 is a beauty (pre-code too). Love the 49 also. I have found 49 is one of the more difficult between 40-70 to find in a decent grade.

41 is a great post code Maneely cover.

A nice River City 41 sold in the forums a few weeks back.

Great books Rick!

Thought I'd post a few ST's that aren't seen a lot.

Russ Heath cover

photo STRTALES19_zps0e244093.jpg

This was the last precode issue that I acquired for my collection. Hard to find, IMO. Harry Anderson cover.

photo STRTALES32_zpsa2780d60.jpg

photo STRTALES35_zpsd8f2677d.jpg

photo STRTALES38_zps0a3b5337.jpg

photo STRTALES39_zps9b736c12.jpg

photo STRTALES47_zpsb0951767.jpg

Don't know how I missed these - great books all of them. The 19 is a difficult one to be sure.

Thanks for posting.

Does anyone you know if the print run dropped post-code, the post code books particularly 35-70 or so seem to be much more difficult to find it seems to me there were fewer of them this seems to carry over to JIM and MT as well...any thoughts Atlas gurus?

Edited by Johnny545

Does anyone you know if the print run dropped post-code, the post code books particularly 35-70 or so seem to be much more difficult to find it seems to me there were fewer of them this seems to carry over to JIM and MT as well...any thoughts Atlas gurus?

The number of comic companies, titles and copies peaked in 1952 and went down from there. Television and the Code are the two likely culprits. I have not heard specific numbers for Atlas but it would seem likely they were also similarly affected.

Can't recall if someone already pointed this out (heck, it might have been me a looooong time ago) but I am struck by the similarities of these two covers. If a swipe / source of inspiration, Heath turned the intensity up in his rendition -

Tarzan-Lorna-Echoes_zps674142bf.jpg