• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,320 posts in this topic

Can't recall if someone already pointed this out (heck, it might have been me a looooong time ago) but I am struck by the similarities of these two covers. If a swipe / source of inspiration, Heath turned the intensity up in his rendition -

Tarzan-Lorna-Echoes_zps674142bf.jpg

The leapin' lion is a well-known scene so, while Heath could have been inspired by that Tarzan book, it could also have come from any number of other sources.

Jumbo157.jpg

Exactly. That's why I didn't claim it as the source but a source. There are quite a few similarities in compositions.

I should have remembered that Jumbo too as it is a March 1952 book.

I'm guessing most of these guys had swipe files, but that the better artists generally used them for pointers more than straight up copying. Combine that with common motifs and unconscious inspiration and it gets hard to say what was being sourced in all but the most blatant swipes.

I don't think this one has been posted in this thread. Such a great cover. Tough to find in good shape, was happy to find this one.

a543dc6f-6013-41ae-8062-4a696d115a07_zps1a69f482.jpg

Harry Anderson made some outstanding horror covers. Another one of those "underrated" artists.

Agreed...this is one of Anderson's best IMHO it has so much going on, from the woman's shoe falling off, to the spit/foam in the mouth, to brakes light on the car, the husband dangling out of the passenger side door...plus the composition itself is generally outstanding with the sky also looking like one huge moon - just one of the best covers.

Agreed...this is one of Anderson's best IMHO it has so much going on, from the woman's shoe falling off, to the spit/foam in the mouth, to brakes light on the car, the husband dangling out of the passenger side door...plus the composition itself is generally outstanding with the sky also looking like one huge moon - just one of the best covers.

Really cool cover! Never noticed the Just Married sign or the dangling husband before, nice! (thumbs u

Mine's pretty nice. Except for the small ding on lower corner, it is almost perfect. OW/W crisp pages, no tanning whatsoever.

photo ASTONISH32_zps6a2467f5.jpg

:takeit: ....pending back cover scan. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Mine's pretty nice. Except for the small ding on lower corner, it is almost perfect. OW/W crisp pages, no tanning whatsoever.

Very cool cover, but I wonder why the vampire looks like the Wolfman.

Very cool cover, but I wonder why the vampire looks like the Wolfman.

:gossip: he overslept for three centuries and forgot to shave.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u