• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,319 posts in this topic

This thread needed a good bump with a great book, thanks Jim.

I know some of you picked up some Atlas recently lets get them up here, PCH, War, Westerns I will take them all!

Here is one from me, perplexed by the grade, still happy to have it.

IMG_4432_zps0b16b47e.jpg

MT 134 is such a neat,neat book. I put one in similar grade in a recent sales thread at what I thought was an aggressive price and a few minutes later I decided to pull the book and keep it....... but someone had already claimed it . I used to work part time for a seafood dealer who kept telling me about the comics he and his wife used to get when they were 17 year old newlyweds in the 50's..... and one day, lo and behold, he produced them.... all packed inside two giant Charles Chips potato chip tins.....maybe a hundred in all. Mostly Romance and pre code horror. That was the first time I ever saw a MT 134. He even had a Menace 1 in there. Man that was fun going through those. I miss that old . I can still hear him say, "Hey, while you're restin' why don't ya see if that broom'll fit yer hand...." GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

..... it's got the globe...... what's the insides like? Goodman had a versatile stable. GOD BLESS....

Typical two-fisted guy private eye stories, but not quite as gritty as Johnny Dynamite. Issue #1 has Tuska art, and #8, Vernon Hernkel. Tuska draws better dames, but Henkel does okay. My favorite bit in #8 is when Rocky uses some Ju-jitsu on a hood that's gunning for him when they are on a rooftop, and accidentally tosses him off. His attitude is pretty much - whoops, oh well, he would have done the same to me.

It's too bad Atlas and comic companies in general were so wedded to idea you had to have several stories in an issue. It would have been nice to have an actual plot develop. Rocky's "investigating" mostly consists of getting shot at and throwing punches. It's amusing that when the police show up, they pretty much just accept Rocky's explanation for why everybody is dead.

Just picked up this reader copy of Spellbound 3 with this great Heath cover.

"The Worm" story woefully did not live up to the cover as I've heard but the rest of the book had some great stories filled with cannibalism, murder and suicide! :o

Spellbound3_zps2b46d7c4.jpg

The first story had an old woman hide a young boy in a wall to keep him from the war. She saved money by not feeding him any meat...as you can guess, he got fed eventually!

Spellbound3Thing_zps0064e18a.jpg

This next story surprised me as I was familiar with the Journey Into Fear #9 "The Flat Man" story but didn't realize Atlas beat them to it by 2 years!

Spellbound3Flat_zps8b145090.jpg

Lastly "X" sports a terrific opening splash page (pencils by Cal Massey) with a gunshot-to-the-head panel later on in the story. Enjoy!

Spellbound3X_zps1572878e.jpg

Spellbound3Xa_zps97931793.jpg

I've yet to see a bad Cal Massey story.....which is one of the drawbacks of the Slab era.... so much of what's great about these types of books is sealed away. Not that I'm anti-slab...... slabbing probably saved the hobby. There were so many unsung geniuses from this era. The actor Martin Landau even penciled some stories before he made it in Hollywood..... but he went by Kenneth.... and he was pretty good. Anybody that has other favorites that never achieved real notoriety, I'm all ears. GOD BLESS...

P.S. Pretty sharp reader copy there, brother....

The actor Martin Landau even penciled some stories before he made it in Hollywood..... but he went by Kenneth.... and he was pretty good.
Martin Landau has actually specifically responded to questions about comic art and indicated that he never drew for comics.

From Wiki:

At the age of 17, Landau started working as a cartoonist for the Daily News, illustrating Billy Rose's column "Pitching Horseshoes" and also assisting Gus Edson on the comic strip The Gumps during the 1940s and 1950s, eventually drawing the "Sunday strip" for Edson.[6] (Some sources confuse him with comic book artist Kenneth Landau, and incorrectly claim that he drew for comic books using the name Ken Landau as a pseudonym.)

Just picked up this reader copy of Spellbound 3 with this great Heath cover.

"The Worm" story woefully did not live up to the cover as I've heard but the rest of the book had some great stories filled with cannibalism, murder and suicide! :o

Spellbound3_zps2b46d7c4.jpg

The first story had an old woman hide a young boy in a wall to keep him from the war. She saved money by not feeding him any meat...as you can guess, he got fed eventually!

Spellbound3Thing_zps0064e18a.jpg

This next story surprised me as I was familiar with the Journey Into Fear #9 "The Flat Man" story but didn't realize Atlas beat them to it by 2 years!

Spellbound3Flat_zps8b145090.jpg

Lastly "X" sports a terrific opening splash page (pencils by Cal Massey) with a gunshot-to-the-head panel later on in the story. Enjoy!

Spellbound3X_zps1572878e.jpg

Spellbound3Xa_zps97931793.jpg

Thanks for posting those scans, Jayman - classic Atlas material.

The actor Martin Landau even penciled some stories before he made it in Hollywood..... but he went by Kenneth.... and he was pretty good.
Martin Landau has actually specifically responded to questions about comic art and indicated that he never drew for comics.

From Wiki:

At the age of 17, Landau started working as a cartoonist for the Daily News, illustrating Billy Rose's column "Pitching Horseshoes" and also assisting Gus Edson on the comic strip The Gumps during the 1940s and 1950s, eventually drawing the "Sunday strip" for Edson.[6] (Some sources confuse him with comic book artist Kenneth Landau, and incorrectly claim that he drew for comic books using the name Ken Landau as a pseudonym.)

Was just going to ask about what comics he worked on till I saw your post.

Thanks for the clarification! (thumbs u

From Wiki:

..... news to me. I read an interview in Alter Ego where I got my information. Issue 11 , I think..... though I can't remember with whom..... it wasn't Landau, though. GOD BLESS....

I've yet to see a bad Cal Massey story.....which is one of the drawbacks of the Slab era.... so much of what's great about these types of books is sealed away. Not that I'm anti-slab...... slabbing probably saved the hobby. There were so many unsung geniuses from this era. The actor Martin Landau even penciled some stories before he made it in Hollywood..... but he went by Kenneth.... and he was pretty good. Anybody that has other favorites that never achieved real notoriety, I'm all ears. GOD BLESS...

Thanks Jimbo, that Cal Massey splash put a smile on my face as I turned the page and discovered it. In fact it was my favorite story from this issue. The 2 page text story in this book wasn't too shabby either. (I used to skip reading them in the past but now find them descriptively entertaining!).

From Wiki:

..... news to me. I read an interview in Alter Ego where I got my information. Issue 11 , I think..... though I can't remember with whom..... it wasn't Landau, though. GOD BLESS....

It was reported in one or more fan publications because it was something that I "unlearned" in the 90s when someone actually asked him (I think this was around the time of him winning the Oscar for Ed Wood).

From Wiki:

It was reported in one or more fan publications because it was something that I "unlearned" in the 90s when someone actually asked him (I think this was around the time of him winning the Oscar for Ed Wood).

... unlearning is painful for an arrogant, know-it-all bastich like myself...... but it gets easier with time. GOD BLESS...

Thanks Jimbo, that Cal Massey splash put a smile on my face as I turned the page and discovered it. In fact it was my favorite story from this issue. The 2 page text story in this book wasn't too shabby either. (I used to skip reading them in the past but now find them descriptively entertaining!).

.... a favorite Massey story of mine is Davy's Dame from JIUW 22 ....... he was so talented. I'd toss in some pics but you can google Journey into Unknown Worlds and the whole story scanned was in there at one time. GOD BLESS....

SCROLL DOWN FOR Davey and his Dame

Edited by jimjum12