• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,319 posts in this topic

Thanks Johnny, This issue contains some cool Sci-fi stories as well.

This story is credited to Bill Savage, who I must confess am not too familiar with at this point but I'm a fan now!

You must have run into a lucky one then because most of what I've seen from Bill Savage is from his work on Spy Cases (he was the main artist, 3 to 4 stories per issue for quite a while on this run) makes you want to buy the book only for the covers.

Though if you look at the story credited to him on AtlasTales, some of the later stories don't quite look from the same hand as those early ones at all ... mis-credited then?

http://www.atlastales.com/creator/147

This story is credited to Bill Savage, who I must confess am not too familiar with at this point but I'm a fan now!

You must have run into a lucky one then because most of what I've seen from Bill Savage is from his work on Spy Cases (he was the main artist, 3 to 4 stories per issue for quite a while on this run) makes you want to buy the book only for the covers.

Though if you look at the story credited to him on AtlasTales, some of the later stories don't quite look from the same hand as those early ones at all ... mis-credited then?

Possibly. Given the examples from the Atlas Tales link, a couple of theories:

As a penciler, his style might have been overshadowed by the inker.

His style changed from Spy Cases to the horror/War genre.

His style evolved from 52 to the later art in 54.

Or definitely mis-credited as you state.

Based on the art from my post of JIUW26, these examples seem to fit:

War Action 9

Marvel Tales 121

Spaceman 5

Adventures Into Weird Worlds 29

Justice 47

Strange Tales 31 (signed)

The elongated facial structure and rounded eyes are a good tell-tale IMO as the example from the JIUW26, MT121 and the ST31(signed).

JIUW #26

JIUW26Floats3_zps2ed42e15.jpeg

Marvel Tales #121

mt121_zpsd293757b.jpg

Strange Tales #31

ST31_zps5c000df1.jpg

Love the 153, such a classic cover! :applause:

I always thought the 122 was a decapitation cover, but looking closely it looks like a ghost forming from the body in the casket. Atlas loved to use that "empty suit" motif on many a cover!

Some real nice books being shown and just flat out terrific art/stories. I am excited about these new pickups. Some I got in the mail yesterday and some at a local con today.

"Walking dead" cover. First decent copy I have ever seen of Astonishing 10.

photo ASTONISHING10_zps9b7d8799.jpg

photo ASTONISHING34_zpsd1ca7255.jpg

Finally, finally found a decent copy of this issue. A super Heath cover.

photo SPELLBOUND20_zps687ae4c6.jpg

I like this Heath cover , too.

photo SPELLBOUND21_zps044b293d.jpg

First copy of this issue I ever had. Has a top notch RQ Sale scifi story.

photo MYSTIC35_zpsce8df1b3.jpg

And last but not least

photo MARVELTALES124_zps90ce185d.jpg

Wow! Great score, wish any of my local cons had Atlas pch!

I was just looking at the Astonishing guillotine cover on the Atlas Tales site and realized that thing is going to chop his hands off too! Talk about overkill horror! :o

Possibly. Given the examples from the Atlas Tales link, a couple of theories:

As a penciler, his style might have been overshadowed by the inker.

His style changed from Spy Cases to the horror/War genre.

His style evolved from 52 to the later art in 54.

Or definitely mis-credited as you state.

Based on the art from my post of JIUW26, these examples seem to fit:

War Action 9

Marvel Tales 121

Spaceman 5

Adventures Into Weird Worlds 29

Justice 47

Strange Tales 31 (signed)

The elongated facial structure and rounded eyes are a good tell-tale IMO as the example from the JIUW26, MT121 and the ST31(signed).

JIUW #26

JIUW26Floats3_zps2ed42e15.jpeg

Marvel Tales #121

mt121_zpsd293757b.jpg

Strange Tales #31

ST31_zps5c000df1.jpg

...... not bad. I had wondered about Savage, now I know. My searches for Atlas PCH to buy used to be Everett, Heath, or Maneely. The list has grown considerably since I came here. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...The list has grown considerably since I came here.

Don't I know it! doh!

..... I actually started as Everett only. Then I started with Maneely. Then Anderson caught my eye. It's actually gotten to where It's hard to think of one's I DON'T like.... Some of the artists that I've grown to like actually came to my attention in the War titles first. If I had been more open minded I'd have started putting together more books a lot sooner.... when they were much cheaper. One thing I like about this thread is the willingness of posters to feature some interiors. I'm not going to make the elitist statements about no one likeing the stories anymore.... but it is nice to come here and see people who are still passionate about the artform. It was especially nice when PCalhoun joined.... I thought he was gone forever when CBM folded..... this internet thing certainly makes for a vast neighborhood. GOD BLESS...

Some real nice books being shown and just flat out terrific art/stories. I am excited about these new pickups. Some I got in the mail yesterday and some at a local con today.

"Walking dead" cover. First decent copy I have ever seen of Astonishing 10.

photo ASTONISHING10_zps9b7d8799.jpg

That Astonishing #10 is sweet! Nice find :headbang:

Don't I know it! doh!

..... I actually started as Everett only. Then I started with Maneely. Then Anderson caught my eye. It's actually gotten to where It's hard to think of one's I DON'T like.... Some of the artists that I've grown to like actually came to my attention in the War titles first. If I had been more open minded I'd have started putting together more books a lot sooner.... when they were much cheaper. One thing I like about this thread is the willingness of posters to feature some interiors. I'm not going to make the elitist statements about no one likeing the stories anymore.... but it is nice to come here and see people who are still passionate about the artform. It was especially nice when PCalhoun joined.... I thought he was gone forever when CBM folded..... this internet thing certainly makes for a vast neighborhood. GOD BLESS...

It would be a lot better neighborhood if you kids stayed off my Atlas lawn :kidaround:

Don't I know it! doh!

It would be a lot better neighborhood if you kids stayed off my Atlas lawn :kidaround:

:whee: ....... oooo, mister, lemme hold 'dem comics ........ GOD BLESS....

Don't I know it! doh!

Can I hold it next PLEEEZE!

144520.jpg.9f1bb7defce7338f4005bf3f01796063.jpg

Don't I know it! doh!

Can I hold it next PLEEEZE!

:roflmao:

Right there with you. Kids these days...

North_A_satellite_orth_NASA_zpsba74a566.jpg

Preach it brother! :preach: