• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you pay for Streaming New MCU Movies?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

So if Black Widow actually goes to streaming and not to Theaters first what would you pay for 1 viewing VS buying VS waiting?  I was thinking maybe 1 viewing for $49.99 with the rationale that if a family of 4 went to the theater that's about what they would pay or buying it out right for say $99.99.  This is only in regards for premium direct to home viewing movies.  What would you pay or think is fair? 

Edited by Xenosmilus

1 minute ago, Grails said:

$6.99 for a 24 hour rental.

$19.99 for purchase.

In line with standard new release pricing.

If they decide to price gouge then I’ll just watch it for free on one of many sites that it will be available on.

Then they will never release major block buster movies direct to streaming.  The rentals and buying of the movies are icing on the cake for them.

1 hour ago, Xenosmilus said:

I was thinking maybe 1 viewing for $49.99 with the rationale that if a family of 4 went to the theater that's about what they would pay or buying it out right for say $99.99.

So what if I’m not a family of four? Just me?

Just now, Grails said:

So I don’t have to pay your suggested $49.99 for one viewing?

My point of this topic is that there has to be a happy medium some place.  They can't be expected to make a 250-300 million dollar movie and charge $6.99 rental.  I mean if you go to the theater to see it (depending on where you live) it will cost you about $15-20 per person.

5 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

My point of this topic is that there has to be a happy medium some place.  They can't be expected to make a 250-300 million dollar movie and charge $6.99 rental.  I mean if you go to the theater to see it (depending on where you live) it will cost you about $15-20 per person.

When my friend was an executive for the company that does the ads they show in theaters, he told me the studio gets 90% of ticket sales the first week and then the percentage goes down each week and eventually goes to 90%  for the theatre. I've heard other percentages tossed around but the studio only gets a fraction of total box office.

Just now, shadroch said:

When my friend was an executive for the company that does the ads they show in theaters, he told me the studio gets 90% of ticket sales the first week and then the percentage goes down each week and eventually goes to 90%  for the theatre. I've heard other percentages tossed around but the studio only gets a fraction of total box office.

Sounds about right and is why the theaters charge $7 for a soft drink....

1 minute ago, Xenosmilus said:

In Las Vegas I pay $12. So I’m willing to shell out $12 for a rental fee. There is just too much content out there. I’m looking forward to some of Netflix’s upcoming big releases more than Black Widow. And I get Netflix for free through T-Mobile. 

4 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Sounds about right and is why the theaters charge $7 for a soft drink....

When he was working, he'd hand out free passes like gum as long as you promised to buy a soda and anything else. His passes, by the way, were good anywhere, anytime, even when it said No Passes accepted. I had more than a few extended discussions with cashiers and managers about them.

12 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

So if Black Widow actually goes to streaming and not to Theaters first what would you pay for 1 viewing VS buying VS waiting?  I was thinking maybe 1 viewing for $49.99 with the rationale that if a family of 4 went to the theater that's about what they would pay or buying it out right for say $99.99.  This is only in regards for premium direct to home viewing movies.  What would you pay or think is fair? 

One (1) viewing, which means rental?

$3.99 like other films offered by iTunes, Fandango and VUDU. Google Play, not sure what they charge.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

but for Black Widow? $10.

I know, thats less than the price of admission for new releases in the theater!  I think the problem for new releases straight to streaming is that at the theater you charge per individual, at home it's one price for how ever many people you can jam in a room. There is just too much lost revenue unless they can show people will pay a really high price for it. It will be interesting to see the streaming numbers for The Invisible Man and The Hunt though.

Edited by Xenosmilus

10 hours ago, paperheart said:

$10

So are you saying you would pay less to see it at home and more to see it at a Theater?  I mean there is a good point to make that seeing it in a theater you have a better experience, i.e. it's more immersive etc.  

16 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I know, thats less than the price of admission for new releases in the theater!  I think the problem for new releases straight to streaming is that at the theater you charge per individual, at home it's one price for how ever many people you can jam in a room. There is just too much lost revenue unless they can show people will pay a really high price for it. It will be interesting to see the streaming numbers for The Invisible Man and The Hunt though.

Yes. That's the point.

I live in DC. Normal (non-Matinee, non $2-) theater tickets here are $14-$18.

But I'm paying for:

a) the huge screen; and

b) the social experience / audience interaction.

With *very* few exceptions, I won't pay that much to watch the same film on my 50" TV screen -- especially when I have access to hundreds of comparable films I've already paid for (via Netflix, Hulu, etc.) so they're effectively "free."

And yes - I'm aware that transportation costs, parking, & travel time, etc. may make a $20 home movie charge actually cheaper than seeing it in the theater, but it's psychological.

I still won't pay $20 for a single film when that's more than my Netflix and Hulu subscriptions combined.

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yes. That's the point.

I live in DC. Normal (non-Matinee, non $2-) theater tickets here are $14-$18.

But I'm paying for:

a) the huge screen; and

b) the social experience / audience interaction.

With *very* few exceptions, I won't pay that much to watch the same film on my 50" TV screen -- especially when I have access to hundreds of comparable films I've already paid for (via Netflix, Hulu, etc.) so they're effectively "free."

And yes - I'm aware that transportation costs, parking, & travel time, etc. may make a $20 home movie charge actually cheaper than seeing it in the theater, but it's psychological.

I still won't pay $20 for a single film when that's more than my Netflix and Hulu subscriptions combined.

Fair enough. At least you made a valid counter argument :roflmao: