• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good, Cheap Image Host

24 posts in this topic

Well, it looks like my paid host screwed up and has deleted all external access to images, even to the paid accounts? It may get cleared up (they're likely cracking down on Free Accounts), but I'm not holding my breath.

So, let's hear some suggestions for stable, brand name, inexpensive hosts that are suited for EBay image hosting.

Looks like your s.o.l. All web hosting services offer the world, only long enough to set their hooks into you, and keep you dependent no matter how desperate your situation. Here's a shot in the dark: your on sympatico, right; IF its high-speed, activate your personal web space -- two ways you can do this. i) call 416-310-SURF (they'll give you a song and dance that you only get 5MB, but ask them to raise the ante to 10MB -- you know the old saying, the squeaky wheel gets oiled); ii) activate it online (see link below). 10 MB should be enough for most ebay hosting needs, but get into the habit of backing up you files/assets; as you have learned with your current provider, you never know when they decide to do upgrades to their servers, and how it will effect acccess, and information related to your account. You can activate your account online at:

http://www1.sympatico.ca/help/local/bell/custservice.bell.html

Just go to the self-care box on the right hand side, and enter your username and password (these are the same credentials used for the access manager).

Good Luck

Thanks for the tip, and I already have my Sap-Patico webspace activated and I do use it for recurring graphics on some auctions. The bandwidth limits aren't enough for serious comic scans though, and supposedly they can disable your account.

The above link is through a paid USENET account that also offers webspace, email, etc. and apparently paid status also gets remote linking of images.

So I'm set... for now.

I would need my brother to explain it to me, so I could clearly explain it to the folks on this thread...but I am using my own computer as a server, and it is saving me money (and will save me mega-bucks in the future on listing fees). My listing fee for auctions where I have put up 6 or 7 pictures (ebays services only allow 6) that would be the equivalent of supersizing has gone from $1.30 to .30 cents...hard to beat that.

Granted there are some upfront costs in obtaining an inexpensive domain name of your own, and making your computer its own server (I am using DNS4Me)...but I think $45.00-60.00 would accomplish this (and the ability to absorb a bit higher electric bill because your computer needs to be on 24/7). If you do a fair amount of ebay selling...the savings will pay for the upfront costs to accomplish this in no-time at all (well, a few months at most, in my case at least...I can easily list 70-100+ items a month to sell).

Yep, I know the deal on that, but I don't want a separate server that runs day and night, as I really only sell here and there. I think my current news account should be fine, at least for now.....

Since I pay for USENET and use the included email addresses anyway, the web part is essentially free.

Maybe it was...

I remember buying one in early 2001, then seeing that hidden/unnoted G/VG sitting with a BIN of $20. I thought about it, almost hit the BIN a few times, then just decided to let it go.

A few hours later, someone had seen the scan and nabbed it.

So how much did it sell for in Feb 03?

Gee, great 1.5 year investment. grin.gif

The date of the image is the 15th of August 2001, and since the auction lasted only 2 hours after I nabbed the pic, that's the date it ended on.

Can't believe someone wouldn't pay more than $20 for it though.

Same story with the Flintstones 1...It was posted by seller, obviously not knowing what it was adn it lasted a couple of hours and BIN'd $15 or $20...if these were regular copies in the eyes of the seller and selling them at that grade (mid grade fn/fn+) I'd be thankful for someone hitting the BIN at $20, but I know what you mean...