• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

who was the coolest artist you ever met and the worst artist you ever met

58 posts in this topic

Except for the 1994 "Spirits of Independence" show with Dave Sim & Gerhard and Terry Moore, I have never gone to a show for the artists or gotten a sketch or anything, but I have gotten a couple autographs. I used to live in Poughkeepsie, and I met Wendy Pini a couple times at shows, but one time she called in an order into the Pizza Hut where I worked. When she showed up her pizza wasn't ready yet so I asked her a couple questions, like how the Elfquest movie was going and did she have any positions for animation assistants (back when I entertained that idea of a career). She was nice enough, but didn't seem eager to discuss it in any detail. A certain distance stood between us and a certain restlessness permeated the air about her. Her dark eyes flashed beneath her bleached and teased tresses. She was reluctant to betray too much and wanted to maintain her privacy without giving offense. Was I, the pizza guy, someone she could trust with that which she could not admit even to herself? Was there more to me than met her artist's eye? She seemed on the verge of coming undone, her waves of passion crashing against my stony facade, desperately trying to break me down but I would not go against my nature as she struggled with hers. Once more she looked deeply into my eyes, her lip quivering, yearning to give voice to the question that needed answering most of all...

And then a waitress brought the pie up and she left.

I met David Finch back in 2003 at a NY Convention and he was really nice to me and my brother. Very talkative and did an awseome Spider-Man sketch for me. I look forward to seeing him again at the NY Comic Con in Feb. Bendis was really cool also.

I forgot to mention Maleev. He did a DD sketch for my brother on a backboard and signed a Trade for him also and when i went to get a sketch from him i also wanted a DD sketch he rolled his eyes at me and said he didnt want to do DD so he did an Elektra sketch on a backboard. So i really wanted a DD sketch so later i had my brother go back up and ask for a DD and he said he doesnt do sketches on backboards. Whatever im happy with the sketch i got but i think his attitude stinks.

The coolest artist I have ever met and (no offense to my artist friends that are currently working) probably ever will was Will Eisner. I am a huge Spirit collector so for me it was the absolute top to meet him at unfortunately one of his last conventions.

I was in line getting a John Byrne book signed in 1993 (at the Pittsburgh Comiccon I believe) for a friend of mine and I was the next guy in line and the John Byrne was just ripping McFarlane and some of the Image guys saying how they ruined the market and all this other stuff. It sounded like jealousy to me how these guys had gone on outside of the mainstream and made a killing and Byrne was at the start of being a has been.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Paul Ryan (FF at the time) was the coolest.

I handed him a sketch pad and told him please if you will draw anything you like.

He didn't ask for anything... and handed me back the pad closed.

I opened it and he had all the FF plus backgrounds and FF supporting characters.

Needless to say, I was stunned.

Kaluta was cool too at the same con. Paid for a Shadow sketch.

I really haven't had a bad experience with an artist.

Now with a writer... yes... MARV WOLFMAN!

Just after Perez left Titans, he was at a show.

I asked him if there was going to be any more books between him and Perez.

I cannot repeat what was stated (because I might get a strike or banned) but he did not speak too highly of Mr. Perez and then he dismissed me.

Not a happy camper that guy. Maybe he had a bad day or something.

For the rest of the con I made a wide arc around his table. frown.gif

I have met alot of artist and most of them are nice guys.

Mark Brooks, Awesome Signed books at my table for signature series for 45 minutes when he was only supposed to sign for 30. Did all kinds of free sketches, traded me 3 prints for a cheesy pink paint pen he liked (the prints were supposed to be 10 bucks each) even got a signature series book from me gave me his personal cell phone number and said to call him whenever.

John Romita Signed 22 books for me and did 10 sketches in less thank 30 minutes while talking to me about his family and my family and comics. I got all of that for 110 bucks (that is a steal if you ask me).

Neil gaiman Very nice Signed 2 copies of Anansi Boys Signed 6 comics and did a sketch for me and had about a 10 minute conversation with me. ( All I had to do was buy the 2 copies of anansi boys at cost also a steal if you ask me)

Frank Miller Very Nice, He signed like 50 books for me when the limit was 2 per person, He answered all my questions and asked me where I was from(dallas) then told me how he loved TX. He had stopped doing sketches though because the line was too long.

The only person That I can think of that was bad is possibly Rich Buckler. I asked him for a free sketch on my convention jam page and he said it would be like 20 bucks, but he signed my books and talked to me for like 10 minutes. Other than that I can't think of any artist who I thought was bad.

For the most part I think all of my meetings with artists over the years have been good. I think the crabbiest ones know to just not go to conventions.

My favorite experience would probably be with Kevin Eastman at the 89 Chicago comicon. Mirage studios had their own little room and I went there first thing. There were only a few people there when I got in line but by the time it was my turn the room had filled up. As he was signing my comics I asked if he would do a sketch. He said sure but I should probably come back later because there was a huge crowd waiting to get books signed. So I moved down the table and got a great sketch from both Eric Talbot and Michael Dooney and then went to check out the rest of the convention. I came back a few times during the day and the room was always packed. It got to the end of the day and I went back to the Mirage room and he was still there signing stacks of books. Finally the show was over and everyone was ushered out of the room except for me and the doors were closed. Kevin apologised for not being able to do any sketches all day and then asked me what I wanted. So I got to hang out with the Mirage studio guys for about a half hour after the show and watch Kevin do my Leonardo drawing.

For the most part I think all of my meetings with artists over the years have been good. I think the crabbiest ones know to just not go to conventions.

My favorite experience would probably be with Kevin Eastman at the 89 Chicago comicon. Mirage studios had their own little room and I went there first thing. There were only a few people there when I got in line but by the time it was my turn the room had filled up. As he was signing my comics I asked if he would do a sketch. He said sure but I should probably come back later because there was a huge crowd waiting to get books signed. So I moved down the table and got a great sketch from both Eric Talbot and Michael Dooney and then went to check out the rest of the convention. I came back a few times during the day and the room was always packed. It got to the end of the day and I went back to the Mirage room and he was still there signing stacks of books. Finally the show was over and everyone was ushered out of the room except for me and the doors were closed. Kevin apologised for not being able to do any sketches all day and then asked me what I wanted. So I got to hang out with the Mirage studio guys for about a half hour after the show and watch Kevin do my Leonardo drawing.

That's a really cool story - I've heard good things about Eastman before too.

Except for the 1994 "Spirits of Independence" show with Dave Sim & Gerhard and Terry Moore, I have never gone to a show for the artists or gotten a sketch or anything, but I have gotten a couple autographs. I used to live in Poughkeepsie, and I met Wendy Pini a couple times at shows, but one time she called in an order into the Pizza Hut where I worked. When she showed up her pizza wasn't ready yet so I asked her a couple questions, like how the Elfquest movie was going and did she have any positions for animation assistants (back when I entertained that idea of a career). She was nice enough, but didn't seem eager to discuss it in any detail. A certain distance stood between us and a certain restlessness permeated the air about her. Her dark eyes flashed beneath her bleached and teased tresses. She was reluctant to betray too much and wanted to maintain her privacy without giving offense. Was I, the pizza guy, someone she could trust with that which she could not admit even to herself? Was there more to me than met her artist's eye? She seemed on the verge of coming undone, her waves of passion crashing against my stony facade, desperately trying to break me down but I would not go against my nature as she struggled with hers. Once more she looked deeply into my eyes, her lip quivering, yearning to give voice to the question that needed answering most of all...

And then a waitress brought the pie up and she left.

That's freaking priceless! You should write for harlequin 893applaud-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

I met David Finch back in 2003 at a NY Convention and he was really nice to me and my brother. Very talkative and did an awseome Spider-Man sketch for me. I look forward to seeing him again at the NY Comic Con in Feb. Bendis was really cool also.

dennis.jpg

He's an artist??

Why are you showing a picture of David Spade?

dennis.jpg

He's an artist??

Isnt David Finch a character from 'Just Shoot Me'?

dennis.jpg

He's an artist??

No idea. Never seen it.

dennis.jpg

He's an artist??

No idea. Never seen it.

You've never seen 'Just Shoot Me' ?

What are you doing at 1:00 in the morning ? confused-smiley-013.gif Its on syndication all the time.

What are you doing at 1:00 in the morning ? confused-smiley-013.gif Its on syndication all the time.

At 1:00 AM? If I'm awake I'm either watching a movie, playing a video game or watching [adult swim]. In general, I haven't watched an American sitcom since the middle of Seinfeld's run- about ten years ago.

At 1:00 AM? If I'm awake I'm either watching a movie, playing a video game or watching [adult swim]. In general, I haven't watched an American sitcom since the middle of Seinfeld's run- about ten years ago.

Well,...you're missing a very funny show.