• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

just got my first overstreet price guide

27 posts in this topic

#5 acclaim.gif

Same here. Still got it? Show me yours and I'll show you mine!

Here it is. I remember how conflicted I was over spending $7 for this book when I could have been spending it on comics 27_laughing.gif

907298-pg.jpg

Apparently the memory is going fast! blush.gif

When I saw your pic I realized I had the wrong ish. My first was actually #6. My scanner isn't cooperating right now... I'll wrestle with it Sunday.

Way back in '70, I didn't even know the 1st OS GUIDE came out. It wasn't until about the 3rd issue when I forund out about OS. Back when OVERSTREETS started most of the places I frequent didn't even know of a guide. There were hardly any COMIC BOOK STORES back then. Most places I bought comics from back then were your common stores. The only way ya found out about the GUIDE was by word-of-mouth. The few comic shops didn't even sell um.

Out of curiousity. Just wondering. Anyone that bought the very 1st OS GUIDE, just how did you happen to find out about it? For me it was just luck. A friend of mine happened to hear about it from someone else and passed on the info to me.

dealers take out ads in the guide because when people out there find boxes of comics and go to sell them, they usually find out about the Guide pretty quick in their research. And the choose dealers just the same way we choose a locksmith in the yellow pages: by the size and words in the ads. The guys with the most ads and color ads look the most powerful and reputable with the deepest pockets.

times are changing, as we know, and finders of comics to sell have many more choices now ....

It's alot of fun looking through the old Overstreet guides and seeing the prices people were paying for books 20 years ago then comparing them to what you pay today.

I never bought the Overstreet as a kid because the cost would have eaten into my comic book budget too much, same with bags,boards and boxes.

Way back in '70, I didn't even know the 1st OS GUIDE came out. It wasn't until about the 3rd issue when I forund out about OS. Back when OVERSTREETS started most of the places I frequent didn't even know of a guide. There were hardly any COMIC BOOK STORES back then. Most places I bought comics from back then were your common stores. The only way ya found out about the GUIDE was by word-of-mouth. The few comic shops didn't even sell um.

Out of curiousity. Just wondering. Anyone that bought the very 1st OS GUIDE, just how did you happen to find out about it? For me it was just luck. A friend of mine happened to hear about it from someone else and passed on the info to me.

Yes, I heard the initial edition of the first guide (white cover) was basically sold to dealers and collectors with close links to the hobby at the time. You also have to remember the print run was very limited (only 2,000 copies) and was sold out basically through the word-of-mouth marketing concept. This sell-out resulted in a second (blue cover) reprint edition of the first guide.

Apparently all of the white cover editions were so well used by dealers and collectors that it is virtually impossible to find a high grade copy in the marketplace. In fact, the blue cover reprint editions were also bought up by buyers of the initial run who had used the originals until they were all torn and ragged since the first guide had a shelf life of 2 years.

Over the years, I have seen a few high grade blue cover editions in the marketplace, but never any HG white cover editions so far.

#5 acclaim.gif

Same here. Still got it? Show me yours and I'll show you mine!

Here it is. I remember how conflicted I was over spending $7 for this book when I could have been spending it on comics 27_laughing.gif

Apparently the memory is going fast! blush.gif

When I saw your pic I realized I had the wrong ish. My first was actually #6. My scanner isn't cooperating right now... I'll wrestle with it Sunday.

Finally coaxed the scanner into scanning something... so here's my OPG #6!

opg6-fsm.jpg