• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photograph used without permission

Photograph used without permission  

55 members have voted

1. 1. If you were in this position, would you:

• Be flattered that they used your image, and take no action.
    • Send Netflix a nice, polite email noting the usage, and perhaps asking for credit.
    • Send a more formal email to Netflix stating that you will require credit for the image and/or payment.
    • Contact a local attorney about legal action.

65 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2020 at 3:55 AM, Twanj said:

Let's see the usage.

They owe you for it. This isn't some student film.

I had a photo used by Guinness Book of World Records. I would have been happy with a photo credit or copy of the book.

I contacted a lawyer who was well known for this & he said it wasn't worth even sending a letter if I hadn't registered the copyright (mentioned in @Lorne.T's post).

you have to register a copyright. when you do this, then attorney fees can be calculated into settlement. 

it's the problem with the internet...every thing is free. Look up Richard Prince if you really wanna sink into it.

"Hey cool investigative piece in the Los Angeles Times."   "Oh, hell man, there's a paywall so forget it." So eventually know more investigative pieces in the Los Angeles Time and then folks person_without_enough_empathy about that. "No local coverage, bro!"  Well are you paying for it?

and on and on.

It's supper not cool they used your collected art in their tv show and didn't ask first. But the train has left the station and we are all worse for it...

But tho answer your poll questions: None are good answers. Being jazzed they used your picture (even without asking) and you have bragging rights will continue the act of high dollar productions stealing from others on the internet. Getting a letter from an attorney will cost upwards of 350 -600$ and resolve nothing and from the sounds of it you didn't register your photograph with a copyright (yes,* a photograph of artwork photograph is it's own art). You will never get future credit for said photograph in future re-showings of the production because that would cost money to add more credits in post, never gonna happen.

Edited by NoMan

7 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

I’m almost 50 and I’ve been around this board and comic art collecting far longer than you.

I asked for visuals that SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE INITIAL POST.

I don't know if you have been lurking or not, but according to record, I joined the boards four years before you did. 

You've been collecting longer than me? 

Your assumption is irrelevant. 

I'd buy you a beer if you were close enough. Sounds like you need to relax if you're upset enough to "yell" at someone in a comic book forum for not posting "visuals" in a thread. 

Pop a Valium and have a great day. Oh, and feel free to add me to your ignore list. Since you are a longtime veteran of the boards, I /assume/ you know how to do this. 

fyi, as an artist who copyrights every single painting i make with the US copyright office, it can take 3-6 months to receive your official copyright registration number from them. they do have an expedited service that costs about $850. pretty steep to pay for something like this. i've done that too, and it comes within two weeks.