• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Diego Comic-Con may become an online convention
1 1

44 posts in this topic

On 4/14/2020 at 2:17 PM, Domo Arigato said:

surrogates.jpg.046b1252cb1d4064d5876d27fc8cef58.jpg

I think it would be more like the movie “Player One Ready” if the SDCC were to head in the direction. While it may not have the real physical human experience as I did in my old SDCC days. You can’t beat the virtual game character of anyone you want to be in the virtual SDCC of the future.

It’s not the 2015 of Back to the Future, but maybe wait 30 years to 2045? 🤣  

But seriously...it is a good thing they cancelled it to postpone next year 2021. Too much risk to endangered comic collectors anyway. 

On 4/18/2020 at 7:37 AM, blazingbob said:

Recessions are a normal part of life,  we've just had a government/fed that has kicked the can on them for a long time.  

Ignoring the pandemic and the fact that there simply are not enough hospital beds to care for the proected rise in cases if the trend upward continued.

This is not a normal recession.

Unemplyment claims in the first week were greater than the worst week of the last recession (the 'great recession') by 500%. The next week was worse.

So far that is 22 million jobs lost. Just run that number through your head and try to convince those that have been through a dozen or so of these in their lives that this is just another recession.

Lines at the food banks stretched city blocks. The food ran out at several.

Millions of Americans can no longer pay their rent. 

The jobless in comparison to the great depression is worse than the bottom of the depression.

I know you have 'books to sell'. But people are HURTING. Others are dieing.

Edited by NP_Gresham

48 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

Ignoring the pandemic and the fact that there simply are not enough hospital beds to care for the proected rise in cases if the trend upward continued.

This is not a normal recession.

Unemplyment claims in the first week were greater than the worst week of the last recession (the 'great recession') by 500%. The next week was worse.

So far that is 22 million jobs lost. Just run that number through your head and try to convince those that have been through a dozen or so of these in their lives that this is just another recession.

Lines at the food banks stretched city blocks. The food ran out at several.

Millions of Americans can no longer pay their rent. 

The jobless in comparison to the great depression is worse than the bottom of the depression.

I know you have 'books to sell'. But people are HURTING. Others are dieing.

I'm not ignoring the pandemic at all

I am not minimizing it one bit.

The idea that when the states start to open that 22 million will continue to be unemployed is not a realistic assessment either.  Should it be classified a depression if it lasts 3-6 months?  Now I am absolutely not saying that when states start opening that all of the unemployed go right back to work.  But I don't see a depression type scenario either.  This is a virus and eventually will be knocked down.  

Yes people are hurting,  people are dying.  Not following where that came from as far as me and others having to run my business,  pay the rent, eat etc.  I guess I'm not supposed to be "hurting" that a big source of my income is disappearing at a alarming rate?  

As I said money will dictate how large gatherings take place.  Sports will be probably be the ones that go first.    

Drug companies will be coming up with drugs that knockdown symptoms,  knockdown therapeutic drugs that will knockdown the virus if you have it and eventually a vaccine.  All of this will eventually give people the comfort of going back out into public without thinking that everybody around them is a germ bomb that can kill them.    

Edited by blazingbob