• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ARTIST DIES . . . . ART VALUE GOES UP

29 posts in this topic

RIP Jim Aparo.

This just arrived in the mail about two hours ago...

I had wanted to interview Aparo and didn't know he was in such poor health. I had wanted a commission a few years back, but he stopped doing them before I could get one.

But, I got this World's Finest Comics 249 cover from March 1977, which, to me, is Aparo's peak period.

Mike B. 909155-worldsfinest249JA.JPG

909155-worldsfinest249JA.JPG.07b008b1e4c6edcbfb9711d5e04ff81e.JPG

mike. i think you overlooking the whole point of the thread. it has nothing to do if an artist broke out of the comic world. it is a plain fact when an artist die . his work goes up. the more popular the more it rises.

larry ;]

Re-read my first sentence: "Probably the biggest reason prices spike after the death of an artist is that all the fence-sitters take notice and realize the party is over."

And more of us collect outside strictly comics work than you may know.

So what will happen to all the low-end Ditko art when he passes? There's still good interiors out there for $500-$1000. Not "cheap" but not bad either. As nice as those pages are, it's hard to imagine folks lining up to pay 2-3-4x that for Creeper, Speedball, Indiana Jones, etc. stuff.

mike. if and when ditko goes, yes even stuff like speedball and indy jones pages will go up. not a whole lot. but still will rise. as for his doc strange and spidy pages they will go crazy. in time as more newbies get into the hobby.

those speedball pages may be the only thing there can afford at firs, t unless they have fat pockets. to begin with. can you think of any kirby or wally wood pages that nobody would want. ? even kirbys super powers pages sell as well as wood hercules pages sell all day long and those were some lame pages.

so why should ditko rom and speedball ball art sit and collect dust. i don,t think that will ever happen. we all like to buy things we like. but some times you have to buy what you can afford. so i think if you really love a certain artist. its better to have a lame page by them then no page at all. larry ;]

so i think if you really love a certain artist. its better to have a lame page by them then no page at all. larry ;]

Oh I disagree. Better to be patient and save for that one really good piece than load up on mediocre works. I always choose quality over quantity.

Add up how much you spent on art last year, it's probably more than you thought (unless you keep careful track and already knew the total.) Would not your walls have been served better by one or two really top notch pieces vs. the (presumably) many you got instead?

mike. i going to agree with you part of the way. yes it always wiser to save for that better peice that your. looking for.

but my take of it is., and i think on the whole most will agree with me. if you can get a lesser page at a good price to quiet the hungers pains of that grail. that may take you years to get. i mean it a fact we all have grail pages that are in someone elses collection that may or may not ever see the market place.

so let not kidd our selves about waiting for that perfect page to come along i don,t know about you. but that last time i looked there are no immortals that collect comic art.. so just how how long are you prepared to wait on the perfect grail page to come along.

but my main point in the lesser page department is two things. # 1 to get something by the guy your looking for. if you have nothing. till something better comes along. i think most of us have heard this word before. it called upgrade taking a sub-par page in your collection to a better one.. everybody does this as iam sure you have as well.

# 2 is the cost factor. why not buy now if you have the mean to do so. than to wait and pay more in the future. yes even they will cost more in the long run. so what,s wrong with saving your self a few bucks now. and maybe even make a few bucks on the page in the future . it all about choice. here. what ever floats your boat. larry ;]