• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ARTIST DIES . . . . ART VALUE GOES UP

29 posts in this topic

I know this is probably a macabre topic but . . .

most fine-art goes up significantly when an artist dies (Picasso, Matisse, etc..)

When the GREAT artists of the 20th Century Comic Era pass away - what type of appreciation will occur with comic art ?

When Buscema passed away,...did his art go up ?

I wonder when the Ditko, Romita's, Heck's, Colan's leave this earth what type of effect this will have on prices ?

I imagine even Stan Lee's passing away will garner much media attention.

What say you ?

It might make the value of there autograph go up. But I don't know about the price of there are I mean Frank Franzetta Is still alive and well And his art astronomical I don't see how it could go any higher

I see Frazetta works getting a Million or so within the next decade so I think Frazetta has alotta room to grow. I imagine when Frank passes away (Knock on wood) that many will attempt to determine exactly where his art fits within the broader canon of the art world and his pieces will be even more sought after. We shall see. I know alotta Ditko doesnt come to market because Ditko has expressly stated that he would pursue legal action and thus many are waiting for his death before even considering putting up his work to market. I imagine his work too will be very sought after and go up in price quite briskly.

Well If you think this then why did you ask for everybody else's opinion

Why does my having 'a position' imply that I do not want to hear others opinions ? I most certainly do. Nothing I have written should imply otherwise.

Best,

KK

I imagine when Frank passes away (Knock on wood)

You realize that the way you wrote this it looks like your hoping Frank passes away.

makepoint.gif

Knock on wood that he has a long and happy life. Frank is a gentle and talented man who deserves only the best in this life and the next.

a million someday - - - but not as a result of his death. He's not creating any new works like his prime so dying wont mean the end of Frazetta works spiking prices. His death will be newsworthy and very sad as he is the best.. but isnt the top for good Frazetta only about 100K now? I can see his prices doubling, but not a 5 or 10 fold increase....

yes. i ment someday a few of his paintings will crack the one mil mark. not like a month after the guy goes. i hope he stays around to see a 100. just saying it a fact when guys like gil kane left. his art shot up big time. just as jim aparo stuff did.

everybody knows they won,t be any new art and just try and buy up what,s on the market. after a certain time. the market will dry up. which will cause the art to maintain a high level. like kirby even thou he did do a very large amount of work.

yet still there is no such thing as a cheap kirby page.

larry.

yes. i ment someday a few of his paintings will crack the one mil mark.

does anyone know what is the highest price that has been paid for a Frazetta painting? If one of his comic covers, which only features line drawing, can go for $100K, his most iconic paintings (e.g., Death Dealer) must already be capable of going for 1 million.

I know that there are some items that Ellie has on the wall that she could be persauded to move for a million (Sea Witch) comes to mind, but the Death Dealer stuff....not likely....she would want more , if they were to be sold at all. -

I know that there are some items that Ellie has on the wall that she could be persauded to move for a million (Sea Witch) comes to mind, but the Death Dealer stuff....not likely....she would want more , if they were to be sold at all. -

I`m sure she would be willing to sell at those prices, I guess my question is more whether anyone would be willing to PAY those types of prices currently.

Probably the biggest reason prices spike after the death of an artist is that all the fence-sitters take notice and realize the party is over.

A solid secondary reason is that the news of death spreads fast and far beyond the cloistered fan community. Frazetta's death would make national news. His serious collectors, like Lucas and Stallone, would make sure of that. There's many other reasons too. Gil Kane's didn't, he never broke out of comics, so no widespread media coverage. Don't remember if Kirby did, but probably not for the same reason as Kane.

mike. i think you overlooking the whole point of the thread. it has nothing to do if an artist broke out of the comic world. it is a plain fact when an artist die . his work goes up. the more popular the more it rises.

no question frazetta. would make nation news. if he passed. but if you compare him to kirby or gil kane or john busema. to amount of work he has done. all three of these guys will have better market activity. due to massive amount of work they produced.

where. frazetta will be limited to sales to a very small market of well to do people. so will he be the 1st artist, comic / fantasy wise to crack the 1 mill mark i think so. but as i stated this thread was about artist in general. which i have to think mostly pertained to comic / cartoon strip artists which most on this board collects.

larry ;]

You better believe when an artist dies his art goes up. WAY UP! I can remember right before Kirby died there were pages selling for extremely cheap prices. Then, as soon as he died, his art got very expensive. Same with Gil Kane and Buscema. I know of a few Conan covers that sold for under $500 before he died. Then, not long after he died, I saw those same covers sell for $1600-$2500 each. A Kirby cover that sold for around $800 a few years before he died cost me nearly $5000 — after he died. We'll see what happens now with Jim Aparo. His art was already getting pretty expensive. Years ago, you couldn't get many art collectors to touch Don Heck art, now I see it selling for some pretty high prices on a few comic art web sites. When an artist isn't there anymore to draw, it seems like dealers start hiking prices and collectors start paying them. Like I said, wait and see what happens with Aparo art.

Another really good example is Tom Sutton, whose art was very cheap while he was alive. Then, as soon as he died, one dealer hiked a cover to $1700 that probably wasn't worth but about $500. His Planet of the Apes art was selling for around $35-$50 a page back then. Now, I've seen it go in the hundreds of dollars. I said all along that Sutton art was some of the best in comics, especially the Charlton stuff, but it wasn't until he was dead that he was truly appreciated by many comic art collectors. The same people who said his art was terrible are the ones who are now saying his art was "classic" and "beautiful."

...........Years ago, you couldn't get many art collectors to touch Don Heck art, now I see it selling for some pretty high prices on a few comic art web sites. When an artist isn't there anymore to draw, it seems like dealers start hiking prices and collectors start paying them.

When the heck did Heck die ? frown.gif

...........Years ago, you couldn't get many art collectors to touch Don Heck art, now I see it selling for some pretty high prices on a few comic art web sites. When an artist isn't there anymore to draw, it seems like dealers start hiking prices and collectors start paying them.

When the heck did Heck die ? frown.gif

Back in 1995 I believe. In fact I was the guy who told Sal Buscema about it. He cried. sorry.gif