• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submission of Fragile Books to CGC

4 posts in this topic

Hello I am looking for advice on the best way to submit fragile comic books to CGC. 

I have several books that have covers detached or barely hanging on one staple.  Others brittle with partial spine split and small chips missing.  Pieces of cover folded back which may break off if unfolded.

Handling can unintentionally damage the books further.  Removing from a loose mylar bag and board can possibly damage the book. However they can be handled without causing further damage if someone understands their condition and knows how to handle such a book.  

Their value to me is mostly sentimental but it would be nice to have their condition preserved and certified.  And I would like to protect them from future damage. 

Would anyone have opinions or recommendations how to submit these books to CGC?  Mail vs walk-thru (I have reviewed other posts detailing packaging recommendations for mail submissions).  And how to reduce the odds of them being accidentally damaged during the submission process and while at CGC?

I’d say contact Cgc directly and ask for some tips and how to inform them, like labeling the box or other internal packaging, etc

I'd think twice about getting them graded, especially if they have sentimental value.  Every time they are moved or touched there is a risk of damage.  An archival case is probably safer than a board and bag but getting it from your bag into a case is not without risk.

For books like that I'd very carefully bag and store them and admire them for myself.  I wouldn't let anyone else touch them.