• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would this effect a grade?

8 posts in this topic

Bought a silver collection a few years ago. All the books had a small teardrop stamp that I guess was the way the owner identified his books. In the scan, it's right below the word "Group" in the logo box. Any ideas on how much would be taken off on a grade for this?

tta.jpg

Thanks.

Honestly, no one outside of CGC employees has any idea on how this might affect a CGC grade. The only way to know is to ask Steve or submit a book or two.

Heck, you might be able to finnagle a "Tear Drop" Pedigree out of it. grin.gif

If it's a "stamp" that has been applied in the same way as a date stamp then it should not affect the grade. CGC has specified previously that typical unobtrusive date stamps do not affect the grade.

However if it is a pen mark then that would certainly degrade it somewhat... crazy.gif

Educated guess?

I'd say it might knock it down .2, but only because the rest of the book is so nice. I gotta admit, it's a tough call. Looks about as serious as 1 tiny stress crack.

Probably have no effect if the comic was a VF+ or lower. (which I don't believe this one is) Very nice. Are the rest of em' this nice?

A bit off topic mcd, but I do know the forum members were very interested in a collection I purchased a couple years ago from a nice "old lady"and I told them all about it, in detail. (Actually for some it was a bit too much detail) cool.gif

Any chance you can let us know how you came across this silver age collection? I think we'ed all really be interested. A collector buying a collection from another collector is very interesting reading indead. grin.gif

Any chance you can let us know how you came across this silver age collection? I think we'ed all really be interested. A collector buying a collection from another collector is very interesting reading indead.

Actually, I picked up the collection (200 or so books?) from a dealer that I was buddies with at the time. He had bought the collection & was more interested in the keys. I ended up taking a chunk of the less popular books from him at a very nice price. At the time, the tear drop really bothered both him & me. I sold quite a bit of the nicer stuff at VF & it went pretty quick, so I guess it didn't bother others quite as much. Since then, whenever I pull one out of my collection it brings back memories of the deal. I really don't even know how many I've got left, I just came across this one & was wondering if CGC would drop it to badly for the "marking". One neat thing about the books is they were still sealed in the "Robert Bell" bags that I'm sure they were put into in the 70s. Or does Robert Bell still make bags?