• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WonderCon, San Francisco

50 posts in this topic

Harley had four short boxes of pre-code horror and another batch of higher priced stuff

Every time I've seen Harley, that seems to be the case. He has a great selection of pre-code...As another poster said, though, a little expensivr. But really nice copies. Did he have a bunch of Gaines files, Pov? Last time I saw him, he had quite a few. Some were even unslabbed.

Chris

You're a volunteer at WonderCon? There were long lines for Cassandra Peterson (for whatever reason), and Artists Alley in general was surprisingly pretty crowded (since it was Saturday.)

if you saw elvira AKA cassandra peterson, then you saw me, i was the crowd control dude letting fanboys/girls into see her. i was jim lee's crowd control dude today. laugh.gif

Did he have a bunch of Gaines files, Pov? Last time I saw him, he had quite a few. Some were even unslabbed.

Not that I saw, Chris. (I wasn't looking for EC's at the con - was looking for more elusive stuff - not saying EC is bad - they're amoung my favorites - but they are a lot easier to find than, for example, a Terrific 14!)

As far as Harley's prices go - he can be on the high side but I was pleasantly surprised and found some really good buys from him. That Voodoo 8 in the Have A Cigar topic is a NM-. Even at VF it guides at $224 ($302 in VF/NM). Got it from Harley for $117.00. Mysteries Adventures 18 in F guides at $120 and got it for $67. The rest what I got from Harley averaged about 20% - 30% below guide except I paid guide for that Wolrds Of Fear 6. I wanted my old avatar!

Oh - a really fun purchase at Wondercon from Redbeard. A 50 pac of 3% calcium carbonate buffered 778HB Half Backs backing boards that perfectly fit my GA mylars. It is SO nice to see the backing board fit the full width of the mylar. I am re-bagging my books as I type.

Thanks for all the show reports Pov. Sounds like you had a great time and picked up some nice books you wanted. Theres nothing like going to a show and getting to SEE the books before you buy them. Congratulations.

Theres nothing like going to a show and getting to SEE the books before you buy them.

No question - nd now I am thinking, against my better judgement - about San Diego Conn. I have to say to get a suite of pre-codes like this over a two day period was and still is a real rush.

i was at wondercon on sunday. i did see jim lee, but did not see supapimp. the dealer room was fairly small, did see harley and redbeard with huge setups, not much selling going on. also saw bill hughes of the mint which had set up with some high-end cgc books; he spent most the day talking on his cell to highrollers not in the room. comic relief of bezerkely had a huge setup right near the door.

i didn't mind much else to do, no films of interest, guests were just so-so. if they want to use the big-time moscone site in sf as opposed to oakland, the con people need to provide better content and beef up this show.

in terms of cgc books, very few dealers had very few books, except for the aforementioned Mint. and damnit, i did not see steve borock or bob storms!