• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Pricing for a Newb
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm brand new to CGC and had a question about pricing.  I just paid $150.00 for the middle tier.  I  believe I should be getting a $150.00 credit too once I complete my transaction since I'm a new member. 

I'm in the middle of submitting 10 modern comics for grading but the first three comics (The Amazing Spider-Man #299, The Amazing Spider-Man #300, The Amazing Spider-Man #301) all came to $85.00 each respectively while for the subsequent comics I was only charged $18.00 a piece.  

I was under the impression that any comic from 1975 and later would qualify as a modern comic and I would only be charged $18.00 plus a few other minor fees.  Please advise a newbie. 

Thanks

14 hours ago, Dallas Guy said:

Hi,

I'm brand new to CGC and had a question about pricing.  I just paid $150.00 for the middle tier.  I  believe I should be getting a $150.00 credit too once I complete my transaction since I'm a new member. 

I'm in the middle of submitting 10 modern comics for grading but the first three comics (The Amazing Spider-Man #299, The Amazing Spider-Man #300, The Amazing Spider-Man #301) all came to $85.00 each respectively while for the subsequent comics I was only charged $18.00 a piece.  

I was under the impression that any comic from 1975 and later would qualify as a modern comic and I would only be charged $18.00 plus a few other minor fees.  Please advise a newbie. 

Thanks

What FMV did you enter for each when filling out the form?

2 minutes ago, Bax77 said:

Oh, you didn't tell us they weren't originals, that changes things. That all looks right. Your 361 must be worth over $400 so it should be the $65 tier? Did you add $20 worth of services to it too? Pressing? Fast Track?

The online form doesnt check FMV so it doesnt matter what its really worth. CGC will adjust accounting in cases where the declared value is ridiculous low but that is after the books are received. 

13 minutes ago, Dallas Guy said:

1706854590_Annotation2020-04-28115343.thumb.jpg.2f7b29d13023cf293042e5595583c61c.jpg

Looks like you entered a manual value for the issue date for ASM 361 (05/92) that changes the tier to WalkThru which is $85. Unless you are sure the manual date is correct try using one of the default values in the dropdown for issue date what should fix the cost.

BTW you might as well max out the declared value in the tier since it doesnt cost anything extra, in case something does happen to the books. Also like it was mentioned if you use a low declared value you risk getting only that amount if a more valuable book is damaged. 

8 minutes ago, Bax77 said:

On their site it says Walk Thru is a minimum $150? 

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc/

My mistake it still says modern but with a different rate.

image.thumb.png.1bbcb3ccbb845f122f17f4779d8b6f96.png

Its also strange that in the image provided by OP there is no tier next to the second tier listing.

Clearly something strange on the online form when you use a different date than a default value.

2 hours ago, Avi said:

Curious to hear what they say. Let us know when you figure it out.

I've left a voicemail and sent an email to customer service.  I'll post the results. 

Thanks for walking me through this.  I understand more than when I started and have also fixed my declared values accordingly. 

• Administrator

@Dallas Guy I am sorry to see that you are experiencing issues. 

I can see right away that the ASM 361 was "manually" entered as an entry instead of using the drop down options. You will notice that the date for all books is DD/YY, without showing the "0." ASM 361 should be 5/92 but shows as 05/1992. Proper date ranges and capitalization are dead giveaways for us. This book is definitely in the drop down menu and when chosen it will allow you to choose modern with the $18 fee. Since it was manually entered, the system can not confirm that the date entered is "modern" and kicks it up a tier. Simply delete this entry and try again.

Side note - the online form will not "bump" you to the next tier if you low ball a value as that is only done by our graders when deemed necessary. 

2 hours ago, Matt G said:

@Dallas Guy I am sorry to see that you are experiencing issues. 

I can see right away that the ASM 361 was "manually" entered as an entry instead of using the drop down options. You will notice that the date for all books is DD/YY, without showing the "0." ASM 361 should be 5/92 but shows as 05/1992. Proper date ranges and capitalization are dead giveaways for us. This book is definitely in the drop down menu and when chosen it will allow you to choose modern with the $18 fee. Since it was manually entered, the system can not confirm that the date entered is "modern" and kicks it up a tier. Simply delete this entry and try again.

Side note - the online form will not "bump" you to the next tier if you low ball a value as that is only done by our graders when deemed necessary. 

Thanks for confirming my theory!