• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Birds of Prey: Spoiler Warning!

34 posts in this topic

to me, if its an interesting plotline, so be it. With all the stuff in comics nowadays, it has been kinda silly that she hasnt been 'fixed' in all this time. I know its been well handled, and a pretty nice novelty to have a handicapped superhero chracter handled with seriousness and, well, class. But its just comics. If its done well, its worth doing.

to me, if its an interesting plotline, so be it. With all the stuff in comics nowadays, it has been kinda silly that she hasnt been 'fixed' in all this time. I know its been well handled, and a pretty nice novelty to have a handicapped superhero chracter handled with seriousness and, well, class. But its just comics. If its done well, its worth doing.

In comic book time, her paralysis probably happened 3-4 years ago. I do think with every resource the superhuman community has, she should have been cured by now. If she were just part of the Batfamily, it would make sense, but she is the info source of the entire DCU so there is a much bigger universe out there.

yeah. although to be fair, for nearly all that time, she was known only as Oracle to everyone outside the Batman family. Only recently have so many other heroes put Barbara Gordon together with Oracle. So, in effect, Batman should have been out there working the heroes to get her healed.

and to be fair all the way around, DC never went there because the effect of seeing a hero with irreversable crippling injury is a good story worth fleshing out. And they have done this for over ten years now. So th equestion is, if she stays healed, should DC have had Superhero technology heal her? or have it as an accidental(?) byproduct of an encounter with a villain? This way works better because if Batman showed up and said lets go meet Dr So and So, the question after so much time would be "Why now??"

I have to diagree. I think this is huge mistake, if it's a permanent heal-up. Here's my thinking:

1) What makes the character compelling and human is the disability. Before Batgirl got crippled, she was strictly third tier. Struggling with the handicap is what allowed writers to develop the character. Disassemble the complexity, and you've got just another broad in tights punching people. sleeping.gif

2) This may seem like a weird comment, but I think there is an insensitivity to disabled people here (if the change is permanent). Look, if we're honest with ourselves, comic-book narratives of the superhero variety embody a kind of wish fullfillment. We look for points of identification, only those points are amplified in the fictional characters. I'd be willing to bet that there are handicapped folks out there who regularly read the book because they share this sort of identification with the character. How will somebody who can never walk feel when they read about Babs getting out of the chair? I don't think any other fan would have greater reason to holler bull[embarrassing lack of self control].

...and DC did all that for 10 years now. They must feel they can "move on" with Babs development as a character. And are you sure there are a substantial number of handicapped readers for this comic? Is there any word from DC on this? I always thought the readers were guys ogling good girl art and Batman family fans.

HAHAHAHAHAHA Eric you are silly...... when something says spoiler warning....... it means that stuff is being given away in this post about the topic, and those who don't want to have it given away to them (aka spoiled) not to enter...... i don't think it was about the character Spoiler..... 27_laughing.gifacclaim.gif

Whether it happens or not, whether we like it or not, the one thing that seperates DC from MARVEL is DC stays within the DC universe. They don't go changing heroes from boy to girl. (my slam at MARVELS new MAD THINKER) If Babs walks again so be it. No big deal. At least they aren't changing who she is.

They can keep thier "CHANGE HISTORY STORIES". I much more enjoy superhero comics that follow the mainstream.

If they bring back the Barbara Batgirl, I think it could actually bring in some new readers. Maybe even get some old ones to return. If the JASON TODD thing is, maybe this would work also.