• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Incredible Hulk #141
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Creased/Blunted Corners, Worn Edges, Staining (Distributor Ink?), Numerous Spine Ticks/Ceases W/Color Break...

6.5 FINE+ (FN+):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Fine but with an additional virtue or small accumulation of virtues that improves the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

6.0 FINE (FN):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with no significant creasing or other serious defects. Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases. Inks show a significant reduction in reflectivity. Blunted corners are more common, as is minor staining, soiling, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and a few slight stress lines may be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown and fairly supple with no signs of brittleness. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present. Centerfold may be loose.

This book was a little doomed from the start because that bad miscut (which wouldn't itself count against grade) left the top margin of the front cover unprotected. And it shows, with the creases up there, especially the long horizontal crease that breaks color and marks where the cover overhangs the rest of the book. Oh, and I don't think that stain is distributor ink. I think it's just a stain. The spine is in rough shape too, not the least problem of which is that big notch in it at the base of the Marvel Comics Group box. I can't decide from these pictures whether there's also significant darkening of the back cover along the spine and in a broad area at back cover top right, or if that's a trick of the light. Given the rest of the book's condition, I don't expect the latter. For that matter, we don't have a close-up of the bottom staple, but to my eye, it looks darker than the top one, which is, shall we say, not a good sign if that's actually the case. There's quite a bit we can't see at all that might matter, including interior paper condition (I don't think this has white pages...) and the centerfold in particular. These badly skew-cut books are prone to little page tears around the staples.

I'm not the grading expert that some others here are, but my gut instinct is 6.0.

I am not a frequent advocate for pressing and cleaning, but I especially don't think it would help here, in terms of the presentation appeal of the book, its technical grade, or its monetary value. A press might help the wrinkles at the upper left front, and might remedy the problems at the back cover bottom, but it simply can't repair color-breaking faults, and this book has a lot of color breaking faults. That stain isn't going anywhere, either. I don't think a full grade from pressing is realistic unless a lot goes in this comic's favor during the process. I think a 6.5 post-press is more likely. For slabbed books, Gocollect reports a $20 FMV jump between 6.0 and 7.0 on this book. That's not going to pay for the pressing even if you get a great press.