• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Slab Tampering?

6 posts in this topic

Recently purchased a slab from eBay. I noticed the top of the slab “squeaks” like the two sides aren’t completely sealed. There’s no obvious gap unless I REALLY try to pry it apart, in which case, I can probably create a 1/16 inch (maybe slightly more) gap in the center (only) - not on the corners. The other three sides are “air tight”, so to speak.

Obviously, concerns of tampering come to mind, but I really struggle to see how they could do it, with no cracks, pry marks, breaks, glue marks, etc. 

I also don’t see how you could switch out the label, etc. AND replace it perfectly. (This is the most recent CGC slab version.)

Question: Have any of you experienced this with the most recent slab version? Or is my paranoia of a tampered slab justified? I REALLY think it’s a stretch but wanted input.

Edited by Chapter2099

Well at least you dont have the old case. I would have bet $ on that as there is a person a day that thinks they bought a fraud case. Scary thing is it took getting it home in person to notice a different case and label then the cgc case they know. 

Cases may squeak, inner wells may rattle around. Sounds normal to me. If you really try to pry it apart some more and see how easy or hard it is to switch the book out. I would bet you will damage the slab before you get the book out. Personally I wouldn't try that again. If the book is over a grand send some pics. If it's a 100 dollar book or something I wouldn't worry about someone who mastered this scam to waste their time doing it for a small payday. 

19 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

Well at least you dont have the old case. I would have bet $ on that as there is a person a day that thinks they bought a fraud case. Scary thing is it took getting it home in person to notice a different case and label then the cgc case they know. 

Cases may squeak, inner wells may rattle around. Sounds normal to me. If you really try to pry it apart some more and see how easy or hard it is to switch the book out. I would bet you will damage the slab before you get the book out. Personally I wouldn't try that again. If the book is over a grand send some pics. If it's a 100 dollar book or something I wouldn't worry about someone who mastered this scam to waste their time doing it for a small payday. 

It was a relatively inexpensive issue. I paid about $250 - wasn’t a steal or “too good to be true” deal.  The seller has been around 15ish years and about 2000 feedbacks. So I’ve got that in my favor. 

I was more worried about someone trying to switch out of CGC label - not so much the comic.

The new labels have the “fold around” top that goes up and around the back of the case - which I believe is different than the older versions which was a just straight sheet of paper - no folds, etc. (if that makes sense.)

There’s no way that I can see that some could replace that (put a new one in and somehow refold it and curve it around the top), in this particular case, with the lack of evidence that I’m seeing.

BUT, figured I’d ask because I know many of you have seen or heard it all. 

2 minutes ago, Chapter2099 said:

It was a relatively inexpensive issue. I paid about $250 - wasn’t a steal or “too good to be true” deal.  The seller has been around 15ish years and about 2000 feedbacks. So I’ve got that in my favor. 

I was more worried about someone trying to switch out of CGC label - not so much the comic.

The new labels have the “fold around” top that goes up and around the back of the case - which I believe is different than the older versions which was a just straight sheet of paper - no folds, etc. (if that makes sense.)

There’s no way that I can see that some could replace that (put a new one in and somehow refold it and curve it around the top), in this particular case, with the lack of evidence that I’m seeing.

BUT, figured I’d ask because I know many of you have seen or heard it all. 

It never hurts to ask. Sounds like you are safe. There is a thread of ebay sellers to avoid. If the book looks lower than the grade then worry about it maybe. I get books like that, highly highly doubt fraud was involved but I just want a better copy so I will sell it and get another one unless its something rare or a spec book. If someone is able to switch labels without any signs of tampering I haven't heard about it.