• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taika Waititi's Star Wars movie

29 posts in this topic

In anticipation of the release of Free Guy, Waititi spoke with Wired to discuss the Ryan Reynolds-led film and his large roster of upcoming projects, including Star Wars. Though he wouldn't offer any details regarding the film, the Oscar winner did confirm it is still in the writing stage but expressed his excitement for the work done so far and how in line it is with his unique sensibilities. See what Waititi had to say below:

“It’s still in the ‘EXT. SPACE’ stage [laughs]. But we’ve got a story. I’m really excited by it because it feels very me. I tend to go down that little sincerity alleyway in my films. I like to fool the viewer into thinking ‘ha it’s this’ and then them going, ‘Damn it, you made me feel something!’”

On 8/12/2021 at 6:17 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

Ugh sure its got to be better, but why this director? If he had directed the original Star Wars, after Alderaan was destroyed, he would have put in a joke instead of Leia crying. Just wait and see.

He's already done an episode of the Mandalorian if you want a taste of his SW chops.

On 8/12/2021 at 5:47 AM, WernerVonDoom said:

That does give him hope, but listening to the jokes in Thor was like getting a root canal.

They give you something to numb the pain in a root canal.

On 8/12/2021 at 8:47 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

That does give him hope, but listening to the jokes in Thor was like getting a root canal.

I'm not a fan of his style of humour either.   NZ is more aligned to dry/black British humour, but Taika bucks that. But it does grow on you.  Watching Jojo Rabbit was enjoyable in the end.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:08 PM, The Meta said:

Getting tired of post it note movies 

Remake the sequels.

THAT is something to be excited about

They need to make a Rogue One type story for the sequels. RO was cool in that it provided backstory for the rebellion and the OT, but the sequels are in desperate need of something that can make sense of that cluster mess. 

Resistance started to do a decent job of that in the final episodes of Season 1 and Season 2, but it was cancelled - likely due to all the hate for the sequels. 

Honestly, I really want to see more High Republic era stuff. 

On 5/27/2022 at 11:18 AM, awakeintheashes said:

They need to make a Rogue One type story for the sequels. RO was cool in that it provided backstory for the rebellion and the OT, but the sequels are in desperate need of something that can make sense of that cluster mess. 

Resistance started to do a decent job of that in the final episodes of Season 1 and Season 2, but it was cancelled - likely due to all the hate for the sequels. 

Honestly, I really want to see more High Republic era stuff. 

I wouldn't mind seeing some Old Republic stuff. I enjoyed the KotOR video games, so movies from that era are attractive 

However, obliterating the sequels, with something in canon that makes sense, would open the door for stories of the future of the republic and building of the Jedi Order

On 5/27/2022 at 1:21 PM, The Meta said:

However, obliterating the sequels, with something in canon that makes sense, would open the door for stories of the future of the republic and building of the Jedi Order

There is a vehicle for them to do this in the World Between Worlds, as seen in Rebels, and may already be in consideration. However, if they were to do something, it would need to be well thought out and identify the event that set it all in motion. Also, figuring out someone to locate and open that portal again is going to take a lot of creative minds.

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 5/27/2022 at 11:25 AM, awakeintheashes said:

There is a vehicle for them to do this in the World Between Worlds, as seen in Rebels, and may already be in consideration. However, if they were to do something, it would need to be well thought out and identify the event that set it all in motion. Also, figuring out someone to locate and open that portal again is going to take a lot of creative minds.

I figured the premise they sucked so bad they can just go ahead and kill them, would be enough 

On 5/27/2022 at 1:29 PM, The Meta said:

I figured the premise they sucked so bad they can just go ahead and kill them, would be enough 

If only Star Wars had a Deadpool type character to break the fourth wall and explain what he's doing and why.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:32 PM, awakeintheashes said:

If only Star Wars had a Deadpool type character to break the fourth wall and explain what he's doing and why.

It will now! And he will be played by a certain New Zealand performer with flippant humor.