• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another is this 9.8 a 9.8? thread. (ASM 361)

9 posts in this topic

UPDATE:

The cover seems to be sticking to the inner well while the inside pages can still move around.  I'm thinking this caused the excess stress on the staples which resulted in the holes around the staples.  Post grading?  Anyone with more knowledge able to chime in on how those holes effect the grade?

25 minutes ago, Sahbatage said:

UPDATE:

The cover seems to be sticking to the inner well while the inside pages can still move around.  I'm thinking this caused the excess stress on the staples which resulted in the holes around the staples.  Post grading?  Anyone with more knowledge able to chime in on how those holes effect the grade?

Are you saying that the staple has detached from the cover?

54 minutes ago, Sahbatage said:

UPDATE:

I have a 9.6 book with staple holes similar to that...

Yes, it's a 9.8. The whole point of a 9.8 is that any defect preventing it from being higher can only be due to manufacturing and not handling (wear and tear). And all those defects are the manufacturing kind, of which this issue is well known to have.

So is it a 9.8? Yes. Is it a flawless issue? Not at all, hence why there's thousands of 9.8s that all look flawed like this to a certain extent.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 9:16 AM, Sahbatage said:

UPDATE:

regarding this comment:

I have had this happen on books. I owned a beautiful Beware 10 and over time the very thing you describe happened to my book.

Now the top staple has popped. I was heartbroken, and sold it.

Beware10CGC65A_zpsj6auysoa.jpg