• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree...what's in a name?

5 posts in this topic

Picked up my sixth Bethlehem pedigreed book yesterday and it got me to thinking about the continued importance of pedigrees in a CGC world. I started with Bethlehem's by accident when I purchased a Brave and the Bold #54 (first teen titans off of Ebay about 2 years ago. Now this particular book was only a 6.0 (it cost me $68) and had an ugly red date stamp on it but it intrigued me as to why this book would be regarded as any more imprtant than another F+. I did some research around the pedigree and began to hunt down other books of the same collection. For me the thrill of collecting pedigrees is that it allows me to accumulate along a different collecting tangent, gives me access to books that I would never have searched for or come across in my travels and gives me a topic of conversation and for researching. Given all that (and excluding the rediculous concept that the Cage collection could truly be called a pedigree when all he did was buy somebody elses books) I have some questions I would like the forums opinion on:

How many forum members collect a particular pedigree and which ones ?

Does a pedigree still hold a value multiplier when it is has already been CGC'd against similar CGC gradings of non pedigrees?

Will pedigrees continue to be relevant as they are split up and it becomes harder to build meaningful holdings of them?

Will there ever be modern pedigrees (given the advent of CGC and the number of HG slabs.....except obviously there will be a BronzeBruce CGC pedigree one day)?

What is the view of mid grade copies of pedigreed books as opposed to high grade? are they still important and collectable?

For those wanting a brief summary of pedigrees I have attached the following link.

Pedigree

I have a few Western Penn's that are pretty nice. It is one of the "cleaner" pedigrees IMHO....and yes...I am willing to pay a bit more for the pedigree status. laugh.gif

I have been the proud owner of hundreds of pedigrees over the years, lots of Mile Highs, Larson, White Mountains, Gaines Files, Cosmic Aeroplanes, etc..

They intrigue me. Knowing that a book was bought and stored for countless years, touched and or read by few if any, is a neat idea.I own some really cool Mile Highs. The man I bought them from bought them in 1978 from Mile High. He had them until last year when I bought them. Looks like less than 3 or 4 people have touched them in 40+ years. I'll take a pedigree, even a flawed one any day of the week.

Slabbing them can only insure that they out last us all.

Pedigree books are truly interesting when you consider that they all were purchased by the original owner. I have always found the background information of these collections to be very interesting. Getting a run of any pedigree title together will indeed be difficult as numerous collectors are looking for the same books.

I like to buy Western PA's, and Pacific Coast books..I'd be willing to pay a bit of a premium but not a whole lot. They are very very good looking books, but I think CGC might give pedigrees a "benefit of the doubt" grade on some of them as a few of the 9.4's I've gotten are more similar to 9.2's. I also really enjoy the Bethlehem collection as the person who was a collector lived in a house behind my grandfathers. I've never bought any though..

Brian