• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGX to CGC Question

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I recently found an Amazing Spider-Man 14 comic at an estate sale but it was rated 9.4 PGX. I want to get it CGC certified. Does anyone know if I can submit the enclosed comic in the PGX casing and have the CGC certification remove the casing and process the CGC rating? 

also has anyone had any experience at how far off the ratings are compared to each other ?

thanks 

I've had PGX slabs changed to CGC and more times then not, the grades drop.  It was anywhere from a .5 grade drop to 2 full points.  It all depends.  A book that they accurately grading does happen but it seems that they tend to over grade almost every time especially on their older slabs.  I believe CGC charges a $5 fee also to remove from a competitor slab but don't quote me on that.

On 5/9/2020 at 12:44 AM, Cpen said:

Does anyone know if I can submit the enclosed comic in the PGX casing and have the CGC certification remove the casing and process the CGC rating? 

Yes 

On 5/9/2020 at 12:44 AM, Cpen said:

also has anyone had any experience at how far off the ratings are compared to each other ?

It varies with every book

The cynic in me would crack it out before sending it in. I would want to avoid any chance of a revenge grade. If a PGX to CGC conversion started to be equal often enough it might give some credit to PGX.

CGC seems like a professional bunch but why take a chance.